Saw the first live Cayennes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 07:48 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colm and Deanger,

Maybe, love is blind. I think the Range Rover gills look fantastic, but then again, I love all kinds of engine vents (e.g. front ones on the Dodge Viper and Ferrari 456GTM, Challenge grills on the Ferrari 360). Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, though, because I think the fried egg headlights and front end treatment on the 996 and Boxster is hideous and ruins the entire car. Maybe, I'm stuck in the past - pop-up headlights and all.

Kevin,

I'll take a shot at your SUV aesthetics question. For me, first and foremost, a truck / SUV should look like a truck in the traditional sense - large in dimensions and boxy, with a strong upright grille - lots of right angles. "Rugged", if there is such a thing. I spent most of my life in Texas, so I identify with SUV's like the Suburban (we used to call them "Cowboy Cadillacs"). For a Texan, an SUV is not a new creation; they've been around for quite a while, and have always been considered desirable.

Second, a design (whether a truck, SUV, or sports car) should be cohesive. The various parts should flow well into each other, and look like they belong to the same car. To my eyes, the Cayenne fails in this area, at least in the pictures. The C-pillar meets the rear end in a very awkward fashion, and the tapered, sport-car-like front end looks very strange so high off the ground and does not at all match the boxy, station-wagon-like rear end, IMO. Also, the Cayenne looks very feminine to my eyes, which doesn't jive with my sense of a traditional, rugged SUV.

I am definitely most attracted to updated versions of older designs - hence my ownership of a 993, and now the RR. Both basically updated versions of a design that is now 30-40 years old. If I could find modern day reliability and safety features in a 1950's Ferrari or Porsche, that would be my daily driver. I find the new Range Rover attractive because it strikes me as familiar, or maybe "honest" (weird word, I know, in this context). Nicely updated and modern, but not too different. I guess I'm definitely stuck in the past.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Kevin and Anir

I agree form should follow function.

Until the last eight or ten years, Porsche's designs always followed that principle.

Then they got into the "family" look, with varying degrees of success.

As you know, I've been a moderate on the whole Cayenne controversy, figuring I'll wait to see it and drive it before I judge it.

Well so far, I've been disappointed by the pictures.

I think they went after the family nose rather then giving it it's own distinctive look, something that's unique and appropriate while still "Porsche".

Not just cookie cutter styled nose slapped on a box.

I bought the argument that the truck would help keep PAG independent, and I strongly believe independence is best for Porsche.

I fear the attempt at a family resemblence is going to hurt its success.

But I'll still wait to see the real thing.

M
Old 12-30-2002, 10:18 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anir,

You know I really think the RR is a great SUV, if they would just paint those "gill's" the body color. My comment was tongue in cheek'"

I'm with Mike, I want to see and drive the Cayenne, but based upon posts here I have concerns about its size.

For right angles how about the G500? (it meets your requirements and has great reliability ), now there love is truly blind.

Quick Reply: Saw the first live Cayennes...