Sponsored by:

PSM on '06 Cayenne TTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts
Default PSM on '06 Cayenne TTS

Guys, what are all the changes in performance and handling that occur by disabling PSM on the '06 Cayenne TTS? I didn't use to like the feel of the car with PSM off, but after a couple years driving an F1, am getting right fond of higher RPM's and shift points. I realize I could probably RTFM and get my answers, but I'm just as interested in feedback and perceptions. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Was it really that dumb a question? I guess I'll have to crack the manual...sigh. Just want to know if disabling PSM disables all ABS/traction control, seems to quicken shifting or am I imagining it?, makes the automatic shift points higher RPM? I'm driving in manual when I'm alone and in comfort and auto with the fam. Just playing with the PSM option and wondered what others thought/experienced.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a dumb question at all. My guess is just not a lot of folks with experience switching PSM off in their p!gs. I won't even hazard a guess about ABS and traction control, but doubt that the shifting is any faster 'cause it's still just an automatic transmission, no matter if you use the buttons, manual mode or full auto.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

I agree, but it feels like a faster shift and I'm curious about that. Shifting in an automatic is all about flooding valves, right? If disabling PSM has you shifting at higher RPM, maybe that's just keeping a higher pressure on the transmission. But if you just shift manually with PSM on, it feels much sloppier even at higher RPM. These are just perceptions, unscientific obviously. But it "seems" as though leaving PSM on, and shifting manually, the delay between shifts is greater and I agree that delay shouldn't have anything do to do with the inner workings of the transmission, but I suppose the commands going to it? Or I could be off base as well, which is why I'm looking for other opinions.

I really care about knowing the answer to the traction control question through. I need to find that out if I'm going to be disabling PSM often, and I am.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I turn mine off I notice that: 1) it'll down shift to first, 2) when floored the tranny shifts at RPM redline, 3) it'll chirp all four tires from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, 4) top gear in auto mode is 5th though you can manually go to 6th, and 5) if you floor it to pass at highway speeds with PSM off the tranny drops into 3rd and the machine just EXPLODES forward... 100 mph comes in seconds with a foot stomp at 75 mph.

'06 C tt S. The thing is just incredible.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:59 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

PSM off engages a different (more aggressive) shift profile as you have noticed.

Although the stability management is selected off via the switch, it never truly is off, it will auto engage the PSM function if the vehicle is ever placed in an extreme compromised situation.

Quick Reply: PSM on '06 Cayenne TTS