Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"F*** LeMans... We're makin SUVs!" ...Quote from t-shirt I saw.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 08:22 AM
Doc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down "F*** LeMans... We're makin SUVs!" ...Quote from t-shirt I saw.

...And that just about sums it up! My GOD say it ain't so! I keep telling myslef that if I wish and hope and pray hard enough... that it won't happen. That this SUV thing is all just a bad dream.

..."And you were there, Aunte Lame, and Uncle Killporsche... and you and you..."

That perhaps this is all just an illaberate hoax and coverup for what what is really goning to be the greatest Porsche since the 956.

That maybe Porsche Marketing will point at everyone and laugh saying, "C'mon... You *really* beleived all that CRAP about SUVs?! This is Porsche for cry'n out loud. We're proud Germans! We don't make jokes! We make race bread and race WINNING sports cars! NOT MINI Vans!"

I can just see it know... Some rich "Soccer Mom" driving the damn thing to pick up her kids with a bumper sticker that reads, "Proud parent of honor student" and a "Baby on Board" sticker next to the "Barney" stick on sunshade with a baby seat in back... NO! WAIT! The ULTIMATE killjoy! Porsche adds a fold down babyseat standard in each one!

...Oh the humanity!

...I wonder how many cup holders it will have???

Just shoot me now!
Old 09-11-2001, 08:36 AM
Doc
Racer

OK... It's 4:00am and I didn't bother to check my spelling! Please ignore all the mistakes in the previous post. This one is correct... Sorry about that.

...And that just about sums it up! My GOD say it ain't so! I keep telling myself that if I wish and hope and pray hard enough... that it won't happen. That this SUV thing is all just a bad dream,
..."And you were there, Auntie Lame, and Uncle Killporsche... and you and you..."

That perhaps this is all just an elaborate hoax and cover-up for what is really going to be the greatest Porsche since the 956.

That maybe Porsche Marketing will point at everyone and laugh saying, "C'mon... You *really* believed all that CRAP about SUVs?! This is Porsche for cry'n out loud. We're proud Germans! We don't make jokes! We make race bread and race WINNING sports cars! NOT MINI Vans!"

I can just see it know... Some rich "Soccer Mom" driving the damn thing to pick up her kids with a bumper sticker that reads, "Proud parent of honor student" and a "Baby on Board" sticker next to the "Barney" stick on sunshade with a baby seat in back... NO! WAIT! The ULTIMATE killjoy! Porsche adds a fold down baby seat standard in each one!

...Oh the humanity!

...I wonder how many cup holders it will have???

Just shoot me now!
Old 09-12-2001, 03:24 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

oh come on!
does BMW making the X5 mean they don't do sports cars or racing? i think not considering the latest racing wins BMW holds.

i just placed a deposit on a Cayene last week. i would hope for 4 cup holders and the built in babyseat is a great idea.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:18 PM
missionfire
3rd Gear

When I worked at VW in Wolfsburg I saw the Colorado. There were Porsche folk there. Sorry.
Old 10-29-2001, 02:35 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

This is from an archive. Gene O'Rourke passed away that fall of 1999. Anyway, if you want to read more of his humerous postings go to www.928s4.com and scroll down to the archives.

Kaz

28th January 1999
Subject: Re: 5 speed vs. auto 928s

Bill,

With regards to your comments on Porsche's plans to build SUVs, I agree completely...

The minute they do, my 45 year love affair with Porsche is over... Right now there are too many other good cars available, such as Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Jaguars, etc.etc.as viable alternatives.

Mercedes has just introduced a version of their SUV that will go 150 mph!! I think that "Jeep" has the "Eddy Bauer" model. This should probably be called the "Kerkorian" model. Next? an even faster, heavier, more top heavy model called the "BF-109".

Over the years Porsche has made it's share of marketing mistakes. With massive help from Japanese designers and management types they have managed to escape the most serious consequences of their past few blunders, but they're not a GM that can shrug off such fiascos as a "Cimarron" or absorb, the losses of an "Alante". (did I spell that right?) Just goes to show the tremendous impact those two turkeys had on the car market.). Porsche can ill afford either one of those, or an Edsel.

If their marketing people don't realize the" niche segment" of the market that they dominate, and are getting ready to join the herd, I'm out. I'll go back to Ferraris, Jags, or whatever. Obviously I love 928s. Stubbornly refuse to believe that they are less than the best GT cars ever made, but they aren't religious icons to me, and if the company doesn't get it's act together, they've lost me and thousands of others who share my feelings.

I can live with ignorance, because by definition, thats' only the lack of knowledge; but pure stupidity I refuse to deal with. As an ex corporate guy, if that sounds arrogant, then so be it.

I'm not really anti-SUV. I firmly believe that almost ten percent of the people who buy them, and clog up the left hand lane of our express highways with them, should probably really have them. Bless them all. But what the hell is there that makes the other ninety percent of them feel justified in getting in everyone else's way, blocking their vision, and wanting to race with people in Porches, Jags, Mercs, Vettes, etc.???

To my way of thinking its' the exact opposite of buying a Ferrari Maranello or Lamborghini Diablo and using it to haul manure with! Spare me from all the slavish people who buy SUVs because they are amongst the "IN" cars to drive, even though the vast majority of them will never leave pavement, and are top heavy, fuel guzzling trucks that most of their owners don't know how to drive without menacing not only their own and their children's lives, but also the lives of everyone that they blunder into the path of.

I feel that anyone who buys an SUV should be able to demonstrate their ability to drive such a vehicle to their various state DMVs... Let them get commercial truck driver's licenses! Is there anything wrong with that? All other truck drivers have to get them, and even so, look at all the accidents THEY either get into, or cause! If they aren't proficient enough to do that, then should they be allowed to endanger the lives of their families and everyone else on the road? What percentage of them know how to handle top heavy SUVs in the event of possibly having to make an emergency lane change without tipping over, or smashing into the car in the next lane??? Right now the NTSB specs say that SUVs are FOUR times as likely to kill their occupants in single car accidents, than drivers of cars, (usually caused by inexperienced drivers having to change lanes in a hurry without realizing that they're not driving the family Accord), and THREE times as likely to kill the occupants of any real automobiles that they smash into because of the huge difference in size and weight, plus the fact that the NTSB has allowed manufacturers to design them with bumper heights and headlights that are perfectly suited to first blind the drivers in front of them, just before they kill them! Obviously, none of the automobile manufacturers who make SUVs are going to admit any of this, (although the insurance companies are finally discovering it). Heaven forbid that they should do anything that would upset their stockholders, regardless of the number of "collateral deaths" (friendly fire?) caused by this callousness, at least until they kill a family member or close friend! Then as history has shown, they'll become righteous, avenging angels! Any number of them will find Jesus and become pastors of various religious groups.

I live in a town in South Florida where the streets are overrun with $75,000 Range Rovers driven largely by young mothers who use them solely to drive their children to school, and to meet friends for lunch. If you could see the parking lot behind one of their favorite lunch spots, you'd think that Clark Gable, Frank Buck, and Stewart Granger were inside making last minute plans to drive up Kilimanjaro right after their seventh martini!

The vast majority of them don't know the difference between" all wheel drive" and "Rodeo Drive". The nearest hill higher than twelve feet is four or five hundred miles away,. and everyone has a paved driveway. An SUV in this town is as necessary as moose antlers on a canary.

Porsche has made it's reputation all these years by manufacturing cars that were, and are, fast, nimble, fun, "driver's cars". Whether they were 356s, 944s-968s, 928s, 930s, (I won't mention 924s), or whatever; they've historically had that in common. They were, and still are, the cause of the trite saying: "PORSCHE! THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!." After all these years, we are about to part company if their misguided marketing people bully the company's management into falling in the same stupid "me too" trap that has infected so many other car manufacturers like a visitation of the black plague.

Disgusted, Revolted, and just plain Pissed Off. I know Ferraris have their shortcomings but I'm not too far from going back to them if Porsche ever builds an SUV. I can't believe that I'm the only old "Porsche freak" that feels this way.

Gene O'Rourke
87S4 5 speed
Old 10-30-2001, 07:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Guys,
Whether we like it or not the SUV or Pepper Pot as I call it, rolls off the production lines next year. Probably in Autumn (Herpst).
The new factory is almost completed in Leipzig. The SUV is real and most likely so will the pickup version be and who knows they may even build the Minivan which they completed with VW a couple of years ago. If the SUV project fails, so does Porsche,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 10-30-2001, 12:30 PM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Well as long as someone picks up the parts contracts and I can keep my 928 on the road, I guess I'll be ok.

K

Quick Reply: "F*** LeMans... We're makin SUVs!" ...Quote from t-shirt I saw.