Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much extra performance would you get if you chipped the S and used BMC filters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:46 PM
DSL 4U
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How much extra performance would you get if you chipped the S and used BMC filters?

The PowerChip is supposed to give you 20HP and the BMC air filters should add 10HP. Is it as simple as adding the two together and coming up with 30HP? Because now we are talking about a significant performance increase for just over $1,000.00 What do you think this would do to the Cayenne S's 0-60 time?

Michael
Old 07-08-2003, 01:56 AM
NMoore
Racer

There is no such thing as a 10hp air filter, think zero, might sound louder if you want that. Reusable too.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:00 PM
DSL 4U
Track Day

I don't think that the air filter will alter the sound. I think it might allow more air in faster thereby giving the effect of additional horsepower. The numbers I have heard are about 10HP.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:15 PM
JeffES
Pro

Not trying to start any problems here, but how exactly would "additional air" mean any more power at anything less than full throttle??
I'v always been amazed at the claims for air filters bc of the fact that at any throttle under 100% open the engine isn't using all of the available airflow anyway....
Sounds like smoke & mirrors.....
J
Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 PM
JeffES
Pro

Ok, Cr** detector went "full on" after I took a look @ the aforementioned aftermarket vendor (no namecalling, OK??)
They claim to do nothing but advance timing on a V8 engine, and to exactly (their claim, not mine) mimic the power and torque curves (just bump them up the X/Y graph). Well, unless they've discovered a magic air/fuel potion, that's completely, utterly, whatever else impossible.
So. Either they are changing other parameters, or they're fibbing. Heck - either way they're fibbing, then. So much for "chipping".
J
Old 07-08-2003, 08:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you never hooked a laptop up to a hot hatch ? on some you can and using software, view and modify the power curves, no new power just different.

Advancing or retarding the timing does do this, and its measurable. but its still like squeezing a balloon.

0-60 times and 1/4 miles can be changed at the expense of torque or legs.

Forced air induction works as well, increase airflow by opening up the filters and using complex air flows at higher velocities has be around for years.

Everything is a trade off

Seek to understand
Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air filter does indeed alter the sound, it does on the 996 anyway. I would imagine it would do the same on a Cayenne.

It is not as simple as adding the 2 together.

Lets see dyno charts from a reputable source and I'll believe the 20hp gain from a chip and 10hp from an air filter...
Old 07-09-2003, 03:58 AM
NMoore
Racer

A number of 996 owners got to buy new MAF sensors because of wet filters for about $400. Even if they didn't really do it, Porsche thinks they do.

The stock paper air filter is not restricting the airflow at any realistic RPM. See if you get any extra power (it will be louder) by taking the thing out, a few laps around the block won't likely hurt anything.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:34 AM
JeffES
Pro

Muddman,
If you re - read you're post, you're supporting my assertion, which again is, that the change of one variable (the chipmaker's claim, not mine), will have a uniform impact on multiple outputs (not possible w/o violating their own statement), thus my concern is not @ the capabilities of "chipping", rather, my concern is the viability of this chipmaker's claims.
Personally? Yeah - I've seen more power curves than I care to remember, and I've seen more snake oil than I care to recall....
J
Old 07-09-2003, 12:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

JeffEs I agree these guys are suspect on what we are talking about right now, but I have also heard good things about them also
Mike
Old 07-09-2003, 12:39 PM
JeffES
Pro

Mike,
good point.
J
PS - I'm a bit confused by your sig - does it mean that you traded the family member for each listed vehicle???? (RX - Wife). If so, where's that dealer - I've a cat that oughta be worth a Vespa..... <grin>
Old 07-09-2003, 01:06 PM
John from WA
Racer

FWIW here is a good analysis of filters. Written for bmw owners, but would apply just the same.

<a href="http://www.my930.com/AirboxAndFilters.htm" target="_blank">http://www.my930.com/AirboxAndFilters.htm</a>

John
Old 07-09-2003, 07:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

JeffES LOL
Old 07-09-2003, 10:24 PM
DSL 4U
Track Day

OK. There seems to be many opinions saying that changing the air filters will not increase HP and chipping the S won't help either. Can any offer any positive comments on what will bump up the HP that won't cost a fortune?

I would be very interested.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 07-10-2003, 02:22 AM
NMoore
Racer

It is only single-digit months since that engine launched, the probability of effective power enhacements before the 4-zone air even ships is vanishingly low.

It will probably not ever be cheap or easy to wring significant extra torque out of it, but wait a while and bolt-ons to increase the topend pull somewhat will undoubtedly emerge.

It takes 10-15K miles for Porsche 6-cylinder engines to completely loosen up, you might gain a second 0-100mph without intervention.

Quick Reply: How much extra performance would you get if you chipped the S and used BMC filters?