Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayenne S spark plug diy

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing Spark Plugs on 09 V8 Cayenne is a Breeze!

If you are a mildly experienced mechanic with some basic tools, this job is a breeze. My 02 GMC Yukon is tougher. we followed the directions on Rennlist and Pelican. The little Kobalt tool kit I just posted, made the job easier. We didnt even use a wobble spark plug socket. just have a few different length 3/8 drive extensions. Summit racing offers a pack of 3 for like $10. You need a good plug socket that grabs the plug firmly. We also have the Craftsman 42 piece set that has all the hex, torx, star and screw driver bit sockets in it. You can get that from Amazon for $40. It even includes a 3/8" ratchet and 6" extension. Use electrical tape to securely tape your plug socket and extensions together.
We bought the plugs and air filters from Pelican. They get my business since they provide the blog with directions.
My son and I were blown away at how easy this job was. Go for it. You wont regret it.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:58 AM
tbo_cruiser
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medacus
Just wanted to give people an update after I did the sparks on my 2008 CS. Overall not a hard thing to do. Slight differences I wanted to point out. There is a very good tutorial on pelican parts, but that was the 4.5 liter V8. The newer 2008 4.8 liters have a slightly different design making doing the sparks a little easier. Also the coils are red in color, I think it's a new design, all of my coils looked brand new and I have 54k on my car.

Driver side: There is no secondary air pump. Just remove the cover and go. Only annoyance is the back most plug, there is a wire there blocking you. If you look closely there is a torx screw holding the wire holder, just remove that and the whole thing gets out of your way.

Passenger side: The infamous torque arm, if you see in the below picture there is no torque arm bracket anymore. The torque arm attaches to straight to the engine, they molded the bracket into the metal. When you remove the cover it's pretty straight forward.

Overall just be careful of tight spaces, also DON'T drop anything (ask me how I know), spent 30 minutes fishing out a socket.

Great additional information. I have the same engine. I notice in the picture that your torque arm is black. There is discussion on other threads about the originals being silver and the replacements being black. Do you think yours is original. I am doing my plugs now and the torque arm is black, so I am wondering if this has been done already. The bushings look to be in good shape. Also, I noticed that the coils are Beru, so I am guessing that the torque arm and coils were already replaced once. Mine is a 2009 S with 4.8L and currently at 96K miles.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:38 PM
cayenne20007
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbo_cruiser
Great additional information. I have the same engine. I notice in the picture that your torque arm is black. There is discussion on other threads about the originals being silver and the replacements being black. Do you think yours is original. I am doing my plugs now and the torque arm is black, so I am wondering if this has been done already. The bushings look to be in good shape. Also, I noticed that the coils are Beru, so I am guessing that the torque arm and coils were already replaced once. Mine is a 2009 S with 4.8L and currently at 96K miles.
mine is 2008 4.8s and the arm is black. I don’t think it was ever replaced or at least it is not on the pile of invoices that came with the car

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayenne S spark plug diy