Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expected tread life for ContiSportContact?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003 | 12:12 PM
dawktah
Racer

Post Expected tread life for ContiSportContact?

Anybody know the life of these tires? I have 2500 miles on them and they appear to only have another 7500 miles left on them???
Old 06-06-2003 | 04:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Right.
On a 450hp 5300lb SUV, I had Pirelli Scorpians last about 8000 miles before they were slicks.
I found Nitto NT404's to be excellent for on-road, high speed driving, especially in wet and cold conditions. They lasted about 20K miles and I swapped them out a little early to have good tread for winter.
At present, I have Nitto Terra Grapplers. Despite the silly name, they're a great on-road tyre and pretty decent for mild off-road work, especially sand and snow or shallow mud. With about 15K miles on the TG's, they're about 50% worn, but I'd expect only another 5K miles or so.
In every case, the lifespan of the tyre is counted on the shoulders, especially the fronts. Be careful to rotate front to back (not reversing the direction of rotation) and have them remounted if you want to swap side to side, again to keep the same direction of rotation.
Run the pressure higher to keep the tyre from deforming and wearing the shoulders. It all depends on the car. My Tahoe needs 38psi and doesn't heat up more than 1 or 2 psi. The Range Rover needs only 28psi (!) but again, it will run hard and tow the boat without heating and the shoulders are not getting worn (excessively.)
We live on a windy, hilly road and it takes its toll on the rubber.
Old 06-07-2003 | 10:02 AM
JeffES
Pro

What's the treadwear indicator on that tire??
Might be a good idea to find out the treadwear data on all of the Cayenne tires, and come up w/a chart....
J

Quick Reply: Expected tread life for ContiSportContact?