Sponsored by:

GTS shifter boot removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS shifter boot removal?

I've done some searching on the site and Google in general, but never came across a DIY for replacing the shifter boot on a manual Cayenne. It would appear I can take up the center console just like the automatic, and after that I'm hoping it just looks obvious what the next steps are. On the Carerra's I've read stories of just pulling up hard, and one of a guy that actually broke his nose from pulling up and it releasing; punching himself in the nose.

I've order the alcantara [see below] in black and am just preparing for the install, so any advice or help is appreciated.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On the center console, open the bottom lid under the armerest and peel back the rubber liner. Underneath, you'll find a z-shaped key-tool. Use the tool to unscrew the two retaining bolts which hold the center console cover in place. Lift up carefully and away from the ashtray. Now, you will have access to the shifter boot.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
renaissance.man
Advanced

It is fairly easily to gain access to that area of the console.

Even though I do not remember the exact steps, the advice Andy E. gave you sounds about right.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Thanks guys. This shifter boot with **** is apparently a special order part from Germany (I was told not a single one in the US), so I've got some waiting while it ships.

Quick Reply: GTS shifter boot removal?