Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Touareg Hurt Resale Value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Gibson Man
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Will the Touareg Hurt Resale Value?

Just something to ponder: Will the existence of the similar, yet less expensive, VW hurt us down the line when we sell?
Old 06-20-2003, 01:05 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Well, the Boxster is similar to the 911, yet less expensive. The BMW 525 is similar to the M5, but less expensive. The Toyota Land Cruiser is similar to the Lexus GX 470... Obviously I could go on. This is an issue that affects virtually every mass-produced vehicle on the market, so I really wouldn't worry to much about it.

The Range Rover is truly a unique vehicle but, historically they've held their value fairly poorly. Only time will tell.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:29 PM
acastell
Racer

I do not think it is that simple an answer.

Brief Anecdote:

I brought my wife to test drive the Cayenne (by the way, she loved it and encouraged me to buy it on the spot)

I then asked her how she would feel if VW made a car that looked VERY similar to the Cayenne AND that VW actually helped/did build a lot of the car. Her response...that sucks!

Now, if I told her that in a year, Porsche was coming out with a 2 door Cayenne or a 2.5 Litre Cayenne, I am certain that her response would have been a simple shoulder shrug.

VW just does not have the cache/respect/dominance...whatever.

I had a '64 356 SC Cab that I sold a few months ago. All of my friends joked (out of envy) that I was driving a VW. If the 356 was a joint effort with Ferrari, then I am sure their negative comments would not have surfaced.

Now, will this hurt resale...NOT for me. I have owned 5 Porsches over the past 11 years. Although the T-Reg and Cayenne look very similar, there is no mistaking the feeling of knowing your car had Porsche engineers oversee every bit of engine and suspension detail.

With this hurt resale in general…well, it will certainly not help! In my wife's eyes, a lady who has been served the Porsche Kool-Aid for a decade, it will hurt resale and presale.

I will own a Cayenne, period!

AC
Old 06-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts
I think so. Depends some on how similar it looks and how similar it drives.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:23 PM
JeffES
Pro

Not likely - the real question is about the T - reg. VW has pursued a lower end of market strategy in the USA, as opposed to an "upmarket" move in Europe.
Based on the very weak sales of high end Passats and the absolute failure of the Phaeton, it seems that the T-reg may have it's own challenges....
J
Old 06-20-2003, 05:05 PM
acastell
Racer

Looking at it from VW's standpoint, I think the T Reg will get an appreciable boost in sales from relationship with Porsche (I am sure the Sales Reps are getting trained as we type- Why spend the extra dollars for a Porsche, this is the same car blah blah blah)

Just as the Porsche may get a boost from the potential relationship with Lamborghini (Sales Pitch- Lambo held the Cayenned platform in such high regard that they approached Porsche for the rights to build)

I agree with you about the overall success, or lack ther of, of the T-reg. VW has had VERY difficult time selling against High-midrange competitors.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:20 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
I would think in the short term yes. It may already be hurting the price dealers can get for the Cayenne new. But over the longer term I would suspect it's effect may diminish if VW's move "upmarket" is successful.

On the other hand I don't think the Passat has hurt A4 resale values but not sure if thats a good analogy.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:38 PM
P-seller
User

Has the Camry hurt resale values of ES 300's?
Mountaineer hurt Explorer?

I think it depends on who you ask. Some people are going to shop the Porsche asking themselves, "ok, why would I pay more for the C?, 15,000 grand more" For them, they'll buy the T and pride themselves on getting the better deal.

For others, only the C will do. Some will feel it, others wont. I think the biggest influence on the C's resale value, will be, how well the car sells now. After all, most of the used car market, is directly based on what new cars are doing.........

Peace
PS
Old 06-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I think a lot will depend on how Porsche services the vehicles. VW is in the lower third tier off initial quality. I'm sure "P" is with this model.

All the comments I read are from very loyal Porschophiles, who are cutting P a lot of slack on the little failures of the Pepper. The rest of the market is not like that. They're impatient and fickle.

The Pepper allure is diminishing for me; for I don't buy the romance, I need the utility (to tow and run without problems, because I use it for work). The fact that the dealer network is spread out isn't helpful either.

I'm bothered by the marketing department who released the vehicle without trailer hitches, air on the "S", unprogramed hitches. It's Bull***t.

These are failures that could be attributable to a Korean Company not P. VW's reputation is unsettling also. Damn, I wish I didn't like the tow capacity, the breaks and the torque.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts
Torags,
"Damn, I wish I didn't like the tow capacity, the breaks and the torque."

Yup, that's the breaks. Or is it 'brakes'?

Seriously, it's the best combination of all that plus on- and off-pavement capability that money can buy now, and I think it's a MUCH-better vehicle than the relatively few complaints indicate. And it has GREAT brakes, too.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:29 AM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Torags,

I fully agree with Jeffrey.

It is a great car. As many other too, I haven't have any problems with it at all so far (knock on wood ...) IMO, the few minor glitches give a false indication regarding its quality and reliability.

I can assure you, as soon as you have driven one, you have to get one.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Jeffrey Behr... Oops.. Great drilled large caliper brakes.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Torags, indeed great brakes--large with lots of braking torque and good cooling--but Porsche does not drill or slot them. That way, off-pavement debris can't clog the holes.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jeffrey Behr:
<strong>Torags, indeed great brakes--large with lots of braking torque and good cooling--but Porsche does not drill or slot them. That way, off-pavement debris can't clog the holes.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The pepper doesn't have drilled rotors?
Old 06-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Torags, yes it does not.

Quick Reply: Will the Touareg Hurt Resale Value?