Sponsored by:

Computer keeps resetting. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:56 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Computer keeps resetting. Why?

This is the second time it has happened in 2000 miles. When I got in the car this morning, the time on the clock was about 4 hours and 20 minutes fast. Also, the avg. MPG and avg. MHH were blank (reset). Does anyone know why the computer might reset itself for no reason and also mess with the clock?

The radio also reset itself once, with the treble, bass, fade & balance values all going back to 0 after I had set it. I have not used another key, which might change some of the memory preferences, so that can't be it.

Any suggestions?

Karl
Old 04-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

Don't know why, but we had a similar issue on the way back from a longish trip this past weekend. The trip computer spontaneously reset itself about 4 hours into our trip. At the same moment, the navigation selection on the information display between the tach and speedo disappeared. I'm guessing you have PCM and that this version has some bugs that will need fixing.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:56 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Actually, I don't have PCM, which makes it all the more strange. I have the basic Bose stereo, and I didn't think it wass tied into the clock and trip computer, but I guess it somehow is.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:44 PM
Stirs
Instructor

The whole system is tied together using the MOST bus with a bridge to the CANS network system which controls engine and transmission functions. On my first Cayenne I had the system reboot several times wherein the PCM and on dash screen would go blank and then restart as if the vehicle was just started. I have not had this occurrence on my new one yet but when I spoke with the regional Porcsche tech. rep. about it he said there are probably bugs that will need to be worked out and didn't seem concerned.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Jim Lamb
Instructor

EuroCarNut, did you ever get this issue resolved by Porsche service?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:53 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Jim,

I have not had this issue looked at, as it hasn't bothered me enough for me to take it in specifically for this. I will wait and let them look at it during my first service.

I will say that it has happened again. This time, I went out of town for 3 days and left the car at DFW airport. Upon my return, the clock was about 2 hours and 45 minutes too fast and the average MPG and MPH counters had been reset. Other than that, the computer seems to work fine.

Quick Reply: Computer keeps resetting. Why?