Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I looked at the Cayenne...But......(If you hate SUVs' but have to buy one read this)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I looked at the Cayenne...But......(If you hate SUVs' but have to buy one read this)

Ok ...I love my Porsches...I had an 88 Targa and have a 996 now. I really wanted to try to make the Cayenne fit for our new venture into SUV land. My wife had to have something to haul dogs (2 very cute Rotties puppies) and my (1) kid's friends around. The Dogs got too big for the back of the Benz now so I had to get an SUVA....

I looked and looked and had a very hard time picking. I did not want to buy American (for quality reasons...I wish is was not the case)

The problem I had was my wife wanted something like a C or a Less 470 due to the ride. But who wants to spend that kind of money for something that is going to get a little doggie smell every now nad then or kids who are very careless with you nice leather and clean carpets...

I needed something with Cargo room but did not want something MAMMOTH that would not fit in the garage...I looked at the C, FX45, Nissan Murano, XTerra, PathFinder, Volvo XC90 and the Sequoia

In the end I got an 03 Sequoia Limited based on space, quality, ride, engine size and price.
I was out the door at $41K with 90% of all possible options (no DVD player). I have to say the ride is as good as the lexus and it handles pretty well given its size. So for you guys who might be in the same boat as me and could not see yourself spending a HUGE amount of money on an SUV I think
Old 04-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice choice in the Sequoia -- if that thing had better suspension and maybe a source of after-market power for the engine, I'd have chosen it. I hear the ride is already excellent and the cabin is "Lexus" quiet anyway.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:45 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also was looking for a good SUV which had a 5000 lbs tow limit atleast to be able to handle a 22 foot Searay boat.

Ended up with Infiniti QX4 , they took over 6k off sticker and 0 per cent financing for 3 years. Ended up being less than Nissan pathfinder which we all know is same basic vehichle.The QX4 model is being discontinued in that Infiniti is coming out with large SUV so model year 2003 is it . Real good deal, handles well but has same problem as other SUV's ie bad gas mileage
Old 04-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Yep,
The ride in the Sequoia is very smooth and it is very quiet. Toyota does make some "race parts" for it so you can pump it up a little....but why spend the money...its just an SUV...and yes the gas millage could be better...but I think its on par with my wifes other car 88 560SEL (love that thing...but boy does it go through some Dino juice)
Old 04-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Yes, Sequoia is very good in value. It is roomy and quality built. Still, it is absolutely not competing in the same class with Cayenne. One is ladder-frame based full size truck (same size as Expedition, bigger than Tahoe), 8-seater. Another is ultra-agile 5-seater. Smaller, sportier, shortly Porsche-style.
Finally, Toyota is extremely good car manufacturer and producing best value cars. Sequoia is probably best value in terms of size and build quality. But it has 240 hp at bigger weight, so don't expect C-like power-to-weight ratio.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:04 PM
JLJ

check out the acura MDX..i have one and its aweome and fairly cheap..tows a 5000 pound boat and a 3500 pound enclosed trailer..seats 7 also..comfortably..they cost $38,000 fully loaded
<a href="http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=mdx&bhcp=1" target="_blank">http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=mdx&bhcp=1</a>

Quick Reply: I looked at the Cayenne...But......(If you hate SUVs' but have to buy one read this)