Sponsored by:

3M paint protector

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:17 PM
DSL 4U
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3M paint protector

Has anyone put this on their cars lately? I have heard that it does not dramatically alter the appearance the way it used to. Also, they have fixed the yellowing problem. Is there anything better out there?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:30 PM
dawktah
Racer

I have been looking for an Invinca-Shield dealer in my area for this same reason. Since my truck has been delayed by the EPA, I have time to find one. My dealer did stated he has the conventional bra, if you want to wait for the kit.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the 3M Paint Protector put on my Cayenne when I bought it. My car is Lapis Blue and you can see a slight line across the hood when it is dusty, none when it is clean. There is no noticeable differnce in color and if it was not for the line across a dirty hood, I wouldn't now whether it was on there or not. I think it is a great product and have used it on several Porsches in the past. Good Luck!!
Old 04-19-2003, 11:01 PM
DSL 4U
Track Day

Cay-ute, thanks for your reply as I am also getting the Lapis blue and was worried about the line showing. Based on your comments, I will go ahead with it. Did you just get the hood done, or the bumper as well?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

DSL 4U - Hood - about halfway up, entire front bumper below the hood (I had to look hard to see where it was and it covers the entire front all the way to the front wheel wells), mirrors, and behind the rear wheels. I also installed the Cayenne mudflaps for extra lower side protection. The only thing that i did not get done originally was the lower edges of the passenger doors, I am going to have that done shortly. BTW I love this car in Lapis Blue, although it does show every spec of dust, but it is gorgeoous when clean. Best of luck to you, I think the 3M film is a very good investment, particularrly if you are taking yours off road. We have a lot of gravel roads up here in Colorado so we have to go the extra mile to protect the paint. Take care!
Old 04-20-2003, 03:31 PM
dawktah
Racer

How long did the application take? Are you able to drive away immediately after application or is this an installer overnight type of thing?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:56 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Also, roughly what does something like this cost, if you don't mind me asking.

Karl
Old 04-21-2003, 12:31 AM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

I paid $795 through the dealer, I am told that it can be had for less in the aftermarket but at least I can hold the dealer accoutable if something does not go right in the future. DAKTAW- I would imagine that you can drive right off after this is applied, mine sat for a couple of days at the at the dealer since I was out of the country on business. I can tell you this, I was driving on I-25 (Colorado) last week behind a gravel truck, I neard a loud noise and saw a rock bounce off my lower hood and over the windshield. When I got home I was expecting a big ding on the hodd, NOTHING was there, the 3M product saved me from my first paint chip. I am a fan!!

Quick Reply: 3M paint protector