Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone In Ft. Meyers Florida That Can Check Out A Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012 | 09:18 PM
Thatmarkguy
Cruisin'

Default Anyone In Ft. Meyers Florida That Can Check Out A Car?

I've found a 2009 GTS for an incredibly low price listed in Cars.com. It's one of those too good to be true deals, but hey, you never know. I live near Pasadena, CA and the ad lists the car 337 miles from me. I've made contact with seller through emails, he sent me pictures and he tells me that he's selling the car due to a divorce settlement and now he and the car are in Ft. Meyers, Florida (not 337 miles from me). I asked for a listing of the installed options on the car and sent that no problem (it even had a Porsche crest at the top of the page), but then he goes on in the email that his price is firm and that if I send him the money through eBay Checkout (???) he'll ship the car with eBay's recommended shipper Dependable Auto Shippers at no cost to me. He made no mention of me seeing the car or having a mechanic check it out prior to my purchase. This is starting to sound fishy so I ask for the VIN number so I can run a CarFax check and a dealer service history check. He was answering back almost immediately, now it's been almost five hours he hasn't responded.

But if he does come up with the info and it checks out I'd like to know if someone in the area can go and check to see if the car exists and the VIN numbers match, and do all the other things you do when you go to check out a car. If it's all good and it works out I'll reimburse you for your time.
Old 03-26-2012 | 11:44 PM
Loutorious
Track Day

Its a scam, the ebay checkout thing is a dead give-a-way. Don't waste your time.
Old 03-27-2012 | 01:06 AM
Thatmarkguy
Cruisin'

Damn! Too good to be true.
Old 03-27-2012 | 09:54 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

There's a million of those scams on all the cars-for-sale web sites. Pretty much all the same story as well - i.e. always an individual seller, great price, some hardship story, they want you to pay a certain way with a scam payment service, they want to ship the car to you (usually free), they won't let you see the car in person (or have someone look at it for you) before purchasing because "it's already packed up for shipping and the shipping company has it". Oh, and usually it's listed under a female name...
Old 03-27-2012 | 11:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy
I've found a 2009 GTS for an incredibly low price listed in Cars.com. It's one of those too good to be true deals, but hey, you never know. I live near Pasadena, CA and the ad lists the car 337 miles from me. I've made contact with seller through emails, he sent me pictures and he tells me that he's selling the car due to a divorce settlement and now he and the car are in Ft. Meyers, Florida (not 337 miles from me). I asked for a listing of the installed options on the car and sent that no problem (it even had a Porsche crest at the top of the page), but then he goes on in the email that his price is firm and that if I send him the money through eBay Checkout (???) he'll ship the car with eBay's recommended shipper Dependable Auto Shippers at no cost to me. He made no mention of me seeing the car or having a mechanic check it out prior to my purchase. This is starting to sound fishy so I ask for the VIN number so I can run a CarFax check and a dealer service history check. He was answering back almost immediately, now it's been almost five hours he hasn't responded.

But if he does come up with the info and it checks out I'd like to know if someone in the area can go and check to see if the car exists and the VIN numbers match, and do all the other things you do when you go to check out a car. If it's all good and it works out I'll reimburse you for your time.
My son found an '07 Ferrari 599GTB for about $60,000 below the average price at the same terms. The sellers must be related because he got almost exactly the same story.

Quick Reply: Anyone In Ft. Meyers Florida That Can Check Out A Car?