Sponsored by:

Loud "CLANK!" after first shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
silvercayenneS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud "CLANK!" after first shift

There is a loud "CLANK!" sound after the first shift in the morning (1>2 or 2>3). This only occurs when the car is first started in the morning, and does not occur for the rest of the day. Shifting is otherwise normal and noise-free.

I have tried to "trick" it by manually putting it in 2nd, but it will clank after going into 3rd. I have tried letting it sit and warm up, or let the shifters synchronize, but it still clanks. And it sounds like its getting louder. Initially it was just a faint ..clank..., but now it's a loud CLANK!, that you can hear over the radio.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I hate to take it to the shop since otherwise it shifts and operates fine, I just worry that something is wrong and is doing damage in there. Maybe it just needs transmission fluid changed, maybe the transmission is going?

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the car/transmission?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
wirunner
Pro

Is that an 03 CS or an early build 04? There was a TSB about hard 1>2 shift. My previous 04 was built 03/03 and let me tell you, that was a whiplash of a shift until the tranny was warmed up. Perhaps the rough 1>2 shift has loosened or exposed your bad cardan shaft - another fun gremlin. Check the TSB on Renntech for more info about that 1>2 rough shift. IIRC, it was an expensive TCU update from the stealer to fix. Cardon shaft...also expensive.

Joys of P!g ownership!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
silvercayenneS
Advanced

Originally Posted by ArneeA
How many miles on the car/transmission?
2004, 71k miles...
Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
silvercayenneS
Advanced

Originally Posted by wirunner
Is that an 03 CS or an early build 04? There was a TSB about hard 1>2 shift. My previous 04 was built 03/03 and let me tell you, that was a whiplash of a shift until the tranny was warmed up. Perhaps the rough 1>2 shift has loosened or exposed your bad cardan shaft - another fun gremlin. Check the TSB on Renntech for more info about that 1>2 rough shift. IIRC, it was an expensive TCU update from the stealer to fix. Cardon shaft...also expensive.

Joys of P!g ownership!
Looks like "Transmission computer/module replaced" at 5k miles, and "Driveshaft removed and installed" at 41k miles... so shouldn't those things have been resolved? Or does the driveshaft need to be replaced at 30-40k mile intervals?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normal
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

valve body
Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by silvercayenneS
There is a loud "CLANK!" sound after the first shift in the morning (1>2 or 2>3). This only occurs when the car is first started in the morning, and does not occur for the rest of the day. Shifting is otherwise normal and noise-free.

I have tried to "trick" it by manually putting it in 2nd, but it will clank after going into 3rd. I have tried letting it sit and warm up, or let the shifters synchronize, but it still clanks. And it sounds like its getting louder. Initially it was just a faint ..clank..., but now it's a loud CLANK!, that you can hear over the radio.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I hate to take it to the shop since otherwise it shifts and operates fine, I just worry that something is wrong and is doing damage in there. Maybe it just needs transmission fluid changed, maybe the transmission is going?

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

Do you have a large clank downshift between 4-3 also? As if you're getting rear-ended everytime?

If so, it *could* be the valve body.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Check your sway bar links in the rear. Wouldn't be suprised if one is broken and the bar is making the banging.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
silvercayenneS
Advanced

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Do you have a large clank downshift between 4-3 also? As if you're getting rear-ended everytime?

If so, it *could* be the valve body.
Yes! No "clank" though, just a surge forward...

Is this something that needs to be repaired ASAP? Or is it livable? I just go the truck last month, I'd rather not have to turn right around and have a big repair bill...
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
silvercayenneS
Advanced

Originally Posted by touareg
Check your sway bar links in the rear. Wouldn't be suprised if one is broken and the bar is making the banging.
@ 42k miles - "Stabilizer bar links replaced"

would this have broken again in 30k miles?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
silvercayenneS
Advanced

Can someone post a link to the correct valve body for this car? I will take it to the shop on Monday but want to make sure they install the part (Sonnax?) that has te correct updates. Well there goes coolant pipe replacement... Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Cuba
Instructor

I forgot to grab the parts list when I had this done Friday but will get it eventually. The total job involves valve body, TCU, fluids, couple minor other parts and should run around $2K. It's a newly designed VB and should actually solve the problem rather than buy you more time with a remanufactured defective unit. It's more common now and the porsche dealer should know exactly what you need to do this. It's an easy job, maybe 2 hrs but they'll charge you 4-5.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cuba
I forgot to grab the parts list when I had this done Friday but will get it eventually. The total job involves valve body, TCU, fluids, couple minor other parts and should run around $2K. It's a newly designed VB and should actually solve the problem rather than buy you more time with a remanufactured defective unit. It's more common now and the porsche dealer should know exactly what you need to do this. It's an easy job, maybe 2 hrs but they'll charge you 4-5.
Cuba, the valve body that you used was OEM or aftermarket? If OEM, there is a new OEM valve body design/part number update?

Quick Reply: Loud "CLANK!" after first shift