V6 Flex Pipe Failure post cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Default V6 Flex Pipe Failure post cat

Not quite Cayenne, but related!

Anyone have this issue on their cayenne?

My 2004 Touareg, which is a V6 and has the dual cats down to a Y and then has a flex pipe to the 2nd cat.

The flex pipe has failed, and of course I have to replace the whole thing for $1000 parts (2 cats) plus labor to drop the engine. I can swallow the 1k, but the 2k in labor I hear floating around really blows.

Curious if anyone has done this on the Cayenne, as it looks like the same setup.

I am gonna try to at least get someone to remove the cat and weld on a new flex pipe, but I suspect resistance as this is "messing" with the emissions system...

Of course my car is 7.5 years old and has 86,000 miles, why couldn't this have happened 6 months ago...

955 113 300 00 is the part.

Number 10 on the diagram, flex pipe is the piece below the 15 nut on the diagram.

http://c767266.r66.cf2.rackcdn.com/202-07.gif

Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there's enough metal (not rusted metal) where the failure is I don't see why a regular old exhaust shop can't fix it for cheap (under $200 I'd think). Not sure where you are in NE but if you're in MA I'd guess that Lou's Custom Exhaust in Reading could probably help you out. No affiliation with them at all, but I've had them do some work on a couple vehicles in the past and have always been satisfied...
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTS Jay
If there's enough metal (not rusted metal) where the failure is I don't see why a regular old exhaust shop can't fix it for cheap (under $200 I'd think). Not sure where you are in NE but if you're in MA I'd guess that Lou's Custom Exhaust in Reading could probably help you out. No affiliation with them at all, but I've had them do some work on a couple vehicles in the past and have always been satisfied...
Thanks, yes I use Lou's all the time for my non oem exhaust needs as they are less than 30 minutes away.

Took it there yesterday actually, they said they tackle anything, except that. I am the 5th or so car they have seen in the last month or so with a break in the same location. There is plenty of metal to weld to, just no space, so the cats have to come off most likely.

My excellent indy mechanic said he would do it, but he is 1 hour drive away in Worcester. Greasy's Garage in case anyone wonders. Focuses on Minis and BMWs, but is reasonable, honest and does good work and worth the trip.

The two VW dealer's I approached wouldn't even think of removing the part, letting me get it fixed and re-installing it

So I think I am going that route!
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 PM
touareg
Drifting

I was able to have it fixed in place.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:02 AM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

What did they do to fix it?
Who did it?
Cost?
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 PM
touareg
Drifting

From your avatar, it looks like you are in NY, so not sure if it worth the drive unless you are on the border with MA.

It was Greasy's Garage, in Worcester, MA Pete is the owner, good guy does work himself. They focus on Mini Coopers, but work on anything european.

I think they had to move a few things around, but nothing removed. Was around $500.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 PM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

Thanks!

Quick Reply: V6 Flex Pipe Failure post cat