Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PASM or not to PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I always run in low mode. I don't even think a Cayenne is worth having without it, just my 2c
Old 04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
zango1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to be honest and say that I'm copying a reply I got to my specification question on Porsche Club GB. You need to consider what size rims you're getting. I went for 21" and it was made clear that I would need air suspension so the ride would not suffer too much
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
Hi. I ordered a 2013 C-Diesel (delivery next fall), and speced it out without PASM or AS. I am now having second thoughts. I have read all the threads on this and have determined I definitely don't want/need AS. But the jury still out on PASM. I will use this as daily driver in a very large City (Toronto). My daily round trip commute is about 70km, a lot of it in heavy traffic. Then there is the running around on evenings and weekends as I have 5 kids to transport to various avtivities. All in, about 25k kms per year. No track, no offroading. A fair amount of hwy driving and a fair amount of stop and go traffic.

So with this driving profile, is the $2,200 PASM option worth it? Ready to spend the coin if it really is worth it, but hesitant to do so if it will be a barely noticeable improvement. Thx for the input.
Care to share your specs? If a Turbo is priced beyond $100k, and includes many features not std on anything but the Turbo, why should a diesel not be? Or does Diesel mean we should be frugal with optioning a vehicle?

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
For someone who is more interested in utility than sportiness, you could save the money and not be sorry about skipping PASM. OTOH, if you like going out on your own and attacking the twisties for fun you should get it. Me, I had to have it, along with all the other handling goodies.
Mike have you checked out the new GTS Cayenne?

Originally Posted by RESP
Hello Bruce,

With PASM & AS, the height while driving CAN go lower than the steel springs.
For AS there is Normal and Low when going over 50 MPH (80Km/h). As far as I know, both are lower than steel springs.
How you set the AS determines where you sit. My "Normal" is to have the ride height as low as possible on the highway, and when tooling around town on our pot-holed/bumpy city roads to go the highest mobile setting. (fuel efficiency on highway, comfort in town.) When I am having fun driving, sport mode on the PASM sets the suspension and ride height for me and I enjoy it all!
Slight improvement on fuel economy.

For PASM only, I don't believe there is any difference between ride heights to non-PASM.
The published clearances only make a distinction for AS VS steel springs.

If you like the variety (low & high ride heights), get the PASM & AS. If you just want the sportiness, get the PASM.
If you just want a utility truck, get neither.
all great information thanks.

Originally Posted by mudman2
I always run in low mode. I don't even think a Cayenne is worth having without it, just my 2c
So to be sure at standstill it's the same height as any other Cayenne but can be lower when running? (I do need to review both types of Cayenne's side by side at the dealer)

Originally Posted by zango1
I have to be honest and say that I'm copying a reply I got to my specification question on Porsche Club GB. You need to consider what size rims you're getting. I went for 21" and it was made clear that I would need air suspension so the ride would not suffer too much
Yip noted, thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

No, when I am running in low mode its also standing in low mode, all controlled from the console or if you want to pose you can stand in loading mode which is very low
Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Hey Bruce R, thx for your response. I tried to keep the options down because of my useage, driving habits and very high cost. I basically have the Cayenne Diesel (base price $64,500 in Canada) and added performance plus package. In Canada, that package gives you the following:

This package includes all contents of the Convenience and Premium Packages: Bi-Xenon Headlamps incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) Electrically operated tilt/slide moonroof Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors PCM with Navigation Module Front and rear ParkAssist System Power Steering Plus 14-way power seats w/ memory Plus: Lane change Assistant Rearview camera Rear side sunscreen Light comfort package Rear heated seats Front seat ventilation

Total cost for that package is $11k. Add $2,700 for 19" cayenne design II wheels plus a few other small odds and ends and I'm up over $80k for a V6 cayenne with no real performance options or major stereo upgrade. Add 13% taxes here and you get a whopping $90k. Lot's of dough for an SUV, so I'm conscious of what extras I add. I currently have a fully loaded Jag XF Supercharged and I have to say I hardly ever use 75% of all the toys and extra performance tools. To me, it's all about recognizing your own habits and what you'll realistically use often enough to warrant the cost. Still undecided about PASM but leaning towards passing.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Hey Cowboys5,
I can't say I am overly frugal, but I do take a little time to asses value over price.
If I can't see using something, why would I value it? If I don't value it, why would I buy it at ANY price?

Having said that, I paid the extra $1000 for Tourist Delivery
Funnily enough, it was the most valuable option I ordered as it brought brand loyalty home to my wife.
We get to go and shop at the Porsche store more often now.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Believe me, I really wish I had that option - and it has nothing to do with cost. Maybe when I pick up the new 991 in 3 years!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Anticipation! Well worth the wait when you do go!
Make sure you get some track time, and take a trip to the Nurbergring for kicks!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Another issue to consider when loading up a Cayenne with $15k+ worth of options is the resale. Lots of buyers cite the "you buy it for yourself, not for the next guy" line, but resale value is a real issue for those of us who swap cars every few years (and value money).

Options don't retain their value relative to the base MSRP of the car. This is evidenced in the MSRP ceiling that Porsche FS imposes when calculating lease residuals on vehicles.

That said, having driven Cayennes with and without PASM, PDCC, PTV, etc, I would much rather have a vehicle with them rather than without them. And since I personally can't justify the cost of adding these to a V6, a GTS is probably a better match for me.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by RESP
Anticipation! Well worth the wait when you do go!
Make sure you get some track time, and take a trip to the Nurbergring for kicks!
+1!
Did 11 laps top down on the 12 mile Nordschleife with my 997tts
Experience of a lifetime,both incredibly exciting and humbling
The 3 mile Nurburgring GP track is very technical and a work out as well
Definitely worth the 3 year wait
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

shoot me
Old 04-12-2012, 07:13 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

bite me
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eat me?

/ thread
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Sure:for breakfast, lunch,dinner and midnight snack
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by mudman2

Quick Reply: To PASM or not to PASM?