Sponsored by:

Extras when taking delivery of new cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Teddydove
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extras when taking delivery of new cayenne

My 2012 Cayenne has arrived in port and will be at the dealer's soon. The dealer is going to offer the following things and I wondered what people thought of the wisdom of any of these.

Autobahnd $695 for basic kit (custom cut clear plastic protects front from chips etc)

Tire & Wheel insurance $995 (5 years against road hazard damage of tire and rim includes cosmetic etc)

Lojack $695 ( theft recovery registered with police)

Warranty ( I take it this is an extended warranty)

Porsche PPM (pre-paid maintenance avail in 3, 4,and 5 years

I would appreciate any recommendations. I have enjoyed reading the various posts here and hope to enjoy the cayenne experience.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The 3M (or similar) Clear Bra is up to the user. If it's leased I wouldn't pay to put it on THEIR car. See note below.

Tire & Wheel, read very carefully, most of the "warranties" don't cover "curb rash" on the wheel, only damage that affects the safety of the wheel. Tires, wear & tear won't be covered. Understand the Pro-Rated stipulation.

PPM - it will only pay for the maint. required by the mfgr (on their schedule). If you do oil changes more often that will be out of your pocket. Check if things like brake pads/rotors are covered.

Note ** Many of these items can be purchased directly from 3rd party shops (clear bra), you will most likely be paying for the convenience of the dealer getting it done for you (more than likely with additional markup).

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I turned all those down when we picked up our cayenne last week. I bought the wheel tire protection and painless dent removal when I bought my 997, but ever used it. So i didnt want to mke tgat mistake again. Clear bra can be done at many places, probably for less.

LoJack? If my car was stolen, I want it gone forever so insurance would buy me a replacement.

Anyway if dealer is trying to sell you something, most likely there is some markup.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't remember the details, but IIRC the PPM was very expensive. It's costing structure was not based on giving you a bargain, just on being convenient, and things like oil changes were priced at hundreds of dollars. I do that kind of stuff myself and I just couldn't see paying big bucks extra on a car that was otherwise under warranty. Maybe if you put very high miles on your car, requiring multiple major services it would be worth it, but it certainly wasn't for me.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Totally agree with Mike in CA. Only worth it if you put a lot of miles ie.>15,000 miles/yr. Lot the PPM is checking this checking that rather than replacing this and replacing that. Here is a thread that I started that may be of assistance to you.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429

Good luck, congrats, post some pics when you can.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are all rip-offs IMO.

The clear bra is not necessary on an SUV since they ride much higher. Now if they made a clear bra for the windshield, I might be interested in that.

If you really want any of those options they can be bought aftermarket for much cheaper.

Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech
Now if they made a clear bra for the windshield, I might be interested in that.
They do: http://www.clearplex.com/
I had it installed after my factory windshield cracked with a rock that was flung onto the glass by a semi on my C4S (and now with the heated windshield on the Cayenne got the protection for piece of mind that too after a tiny crack that happened just before the clearplex install) and has saved me atleast half a dozen times. $300.00 for the cost of the film and install. Make sure your wipers are changed twice a year so that it reduces marring/microscratches on the film and also use their sealant treatment once every couple of months (usually a 5 minute job) to keep the film in top shape. No haze or weird halos or visual distortion when looking head on which is what you do when you are driving.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i would say no to all,

clear guard: i dont wrap my sofa in plastic, so why wrap the car... just take care of it and wash it

tires: lots of things arent covered, our tires are cheap unless you got the 21" and even then they are only 200/tire

lojack: im sorry but if someone steals my car, i do not want it back... theft is comprehensive and rates do not go up...

warranty: comes w/ plenty... dont do it. aftermarket warranties always have some big gaps in them too as far as coverage.

mait: dont do it, at 10k need an oil change, at 20k its minimal, at 40k again minimal... not worth it.

just get the car, and enjoy it...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i would say no to all,

clear guard: i dont wrap my sofa in plastic, so why wrap the car... just take care of it and wash it

tires: lots of things arent covered, our tires are cheap unless you got the 21" and even then they are only 200/tire

lojack: im sorry but if someone steals my car, i do not want it back... theft is comprehensive and rates do not go up...

warranty: comes w/ plenty... dont do it. aftermarket warranties always have some big gaps in them too as far as coverage.

mait: dont do it, at 10k need an oil change, at 20k its minimal, at 40k again minimal... not worth it.

just get the car, and enjoy it...
Agree with Riley but notice he did not complete that last statement. Riley let me ask: Enjoy it for how long . Sorry this is an inside joke. Many RL'ers who know Riley will get it.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have put the clear bra on my truck and cayman S cabriolet and think it is worth the money for the added protection.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Generally, I don't believe in extended warranties, but with the Cayenne, it is worth considering. I purchased one at my local Porsche dealer for my 2004 CT (7YR 70Kmi) for about $3,000. In one visit it paid for itself (water pump, struts in rear hatch and parking brake, horn, ignition coils).

Just took delivery on a 2012 Cayenne V6, and bought the extended warranty for about $4,600 (7YR 100Kmi) -- Zurich policy. Pricing is negotiable, and comes in different flavors. This policy covers virtually everything with very few exclusions such as normal wear items like brake pads / batteries. Zero deductible if repairs are performed at the dealer.

These contracts are highly regulated in California, and for the most part, can only be purchased at dealers. I've found that pricing is best when vehicle is new. If you have a couple of Porsche dealers in your area, you might call the finance guys to get quotes. I checked with the service manager to assess his experience with the policy I purchased. My experience of claims was seamless; no paperwork on my part -- dealer took care of everything -- just like a factory warranty. Just have repairs done at the dealer where you purchased the warranty to avoid any problems.

As many of us know, Porsche repairs are very expensive, and I'd rather put the $4-5K in the price of the transaction up front, and not have to worry about coils, coolant pipes, water pumps, and drive shafts.

If you drive long distances from "home base", you might consider AAA premium towing coverage -- about $180 / yr and includes 200 miles of towing. My coolant pipes haven't gone yet on my 2004CT, but I'm ready for it.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Agree with Riley but notice he did not complete that last statement. Riley let me ask: Enjoy it for how long . Sorry this is an inside joke. Many RL'ers who know Riley will get it.
6 months at most....
Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech

The clear bra is not necessary on an SUV since they ride much higher. Now if they made a clear bra for the windshield, I might be interested in that.

If you really want any of those options they can be bought aftermarket for much cheaper.

Enjoy!
Seriously? So what hits (lower) cars and windshields of SUV's but somehow manages to miss the front bumpers of Cayennes? Is there some kind of Neutral Zone I'm not aware of?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I have more rock chips on the doors of my Touareg than I do on the hood, bumper, or windshield.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
They do: http://www.clearplex.com/
I had it installed after my factory windshield cracked with a rock that was flung onto the glass by a semi on my C4S (and now with the heated windshield on the Cayenne got the protection for piece of mind that too after a tiny crack that happened just before the clearplex install) and has saved me atleast half a dozen times. $300.00 for the cost of the film and install. Make sure your wipers are changed twice a year so that it reduces marring/microscratches on the film and also use their sealant treatment once every couple of months (usually a 5 minute job) to keep the film in top shape. No haze or weird halos or visual distortion when looking head on which is what you do when you are driving.
Sweet! I wish I knew this 40k miles ago...Currently my windshield has more pits than Edward James Olmos.

Quick Reply: Extras when taking delivery of new cayenne