Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the 20" RS Spyders or the 21" Tequipment Sportplus
Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
(quality wheels should not bend either, that does not mean "expensive" but quality)
Agreed to a certain extent however, and in most cases with aftermarket rims, "quality" & "inexpensive" rarely go together; unless of course you were referring to pre-owned OEM's.

Most basic & affordable aftermarket wheels (non TUV-approved) are usually made in China to lower their overall cost. This equates to a limited production of a lower-quality model rim with a specific bolt pattern/offset and a slim chance of obtaining an identical replacement years later; should a wheel failure occur. This happened to me with Foose rims on a previous ride of mine. Foose rims are manufactured exclusively by MHT for Foose; as are many other well-known rim brands.

To avoid such an issue, a more expensive set must be purchased from a reputable mfr such as BBS, Oz, etc.. which makes buying an aftermarket rim prohibitively expensive. At the end of the day and IMHO, going with an original Porsche rim is always a wiser choice. My $0.02...

I have the original 21" GTS Sport rims for summer use and the 20" Turbo rims for winter use.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20's we have now ride very nice, the 22's that were on our turbo when we got it, not so much. Don't think I am in the target market (demographic) for 22's though, perhaps someone else may find them acceptable... Did I mention they are for sale cheap??
Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we'll stick with the 20's that are on the car coming in. We will use the Cayenne in both FL and New England so I think the 20's will be best. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and opinions.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:50 AM
davidkilpatrick
1st Gear

Originally Posted by clembo
I am considering a 2012 Cayenne S, and really don't like any of the wheel options. But the one I like most is the 21" which I would assume offers a tough ride. The sales rep says that the sidewall heights are the same on the 19, 20, & 21" wheel and tire options so it shouldn't matter - is he correct?

The car will mostly be used by my wife and will tow occaisionally.
The rep is a jerk. Definitely wrong, just look at them.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:52 PM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

Clembo- did you notice that the eyes of the fool who told you the sidewall height was the same were glazed over, was shaking like he was jonesing, and had a tattoo on his forehead of Homer Simpson? Check the telephone poles to see if there are signs from a local mental institution with a picture of that guy that says "missing, wanted, and dangerous."
Mike and others are right. When you get a chance, look and you will find tons of information regarding tire information so you don't have to put up with idiots like that guy. Plus, call the dealer's principal and make a formal complaint- that guy's stupidity could have cost you a lot of $$$ and aggravation, along with the principal's business- which he will want go know. Business owners want your feedback so that they know what is going on and who is hurting their business,. Think about how many people now know about this situation from reading this forum, and to how many people we could be telling this story.

Mike- stop posting pics of that GTS wheel, you're making me drool on my electronics. That is one really good looking set of wheels!

Frank- potholes in the NYC metro area big enough to swallow a truck? C'mon, I'm a native of the area and I think we both know you're not being honest- some of those pot holes are big enough to swallow a couple of trucks.

There is more to buying wheels and tires than what looks good. You have to consider the roads you drive, how you drive, suspension travel and rebound, GVWR, and comfort.
21s look great, and I find them tempting as well, but the difference in sidewall flex between 20s and 21s may be minimal given the right tires, and let's not even get into the temperature, road surface & compound variables.
Good luck, let us know what you decide, post pics, and write up a review for us so we all become a little more educated- there are so many possible combinations that we can always use more info.

Last edited by BobbySpeed; 04-04-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:19 PM
HOiYA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a useful site that will give details on differences in wheel sizes. For example, this link compates 20" vs 21"

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r20-295-35r21
Old 04-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a great little tire size comparison tool.

Enter the stock tire sizes and see the sidewall height for your self.

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Quick Reply: Ride quality with 20" or 21" wheels?