Sponsored by:

Battery issue CONTINUED

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM
IsaacMT
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery issue CONTINUED

I posted not long ago. I'm on my 2nd battery in a month. There is a 2amp draw/drain that is not shutting off as it should. My mechanic has the car now and has traced it to the radio, keyless entry and a few other smaller items. Is there a reset procedure or something that needs to be done when a battery is drained COMPLETELY multiple times? I don't understand why this is happening as all we did was replace the battery. This doesn't seem to be a common problem. Please, any ideas?? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some crazy procedure that had to be completed once battery is replaced or drained 100% to allow what needs to shut off shut off.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
IsaacMT
4th Gear

2005 CS by the way
Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What were the circumstances leading up to and immediately after the first dead battery?
Was there an attempt to jump start the vehicle?

It sounds like an input protection component has failed, or the module electroncis have failed, keeping the module from going to sleep.

It is a relatively straightforward, albeit timeconsuming, job to pull each fuse to narrow down the possibilities and from there unplug the module(s) and replace them.

2A should not be hard to find.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM
IsaacMT
4th Gear

Is replacing a module something my independent mechanic can do? I called Porsche in Utah, they told me that when a battery is replaced a computer is plugged in resetting the systems allowing them to sleep. Does nobody DIY a battery?

What is involved in replacing a "module." My mechanic has found the draws. .7 from the radio and various amounts from a few others totalling 2amps. So What now? For example, keyless entry is pulling .3 or so I think. Can that system just be turned off? I live in Montana...rarely even lock the vehicle. Does a module need to be ordered from Porsche or is this something generic my mechanic should have?

Battery was jumped to get to work after initially dying. Battery was replaced the same day.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my 5 YO battery over the summer with a battery from Interstate (DIY). I've had no further problems with the battery. My P!g sits for 7 - 10 days at a time as I drive the M3 more than the P!g.

I did nothing special other than remove old and replace with new.

Quick Reply: Battery issue CONTINUED