Sponsored by:

Pre-purchase inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-purchase inspection question

Friends, I am looking at an '08 V6 sold by an independent seller. He will deliver it to the local Porsche dealer for ppi. The cost is $195. Is there something specific I should request, or is there a standard protocol.
Thanks,
David
Old 11-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Dax
Intermediate

Normally a standard 110 Point Inspection (in UK anyway)....

Ask them to check:

1. The Coolant Pipes have been upgraded to Aluminium.... - No need just noticed your looking at a V6 not a V8....

2. No vibration when accelerating etc. - Cardan Shaft....

3. Coils are all in good order....

Also have a look at the "Stickies" at the start of this Forum....

Good luck....
Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Worth every penny
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Dax, obliged to you.
David
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Link to a copy of the CPO inspection form
Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm... When I got a PPI done on my P!G, the check list was different from the one mcbit posted. It did say on the top of the sheet a "Pre Purchase Inspection" or "Inspection check list" or something like that.

Deliberate1: Just an observation from my PPI. I got it done for my peace of mind and it cost me $405. The PPI report said everything was good... no leaks, etc. But, I think they missed out on a leak near the transmission somehow. Maybe it started the leak after I received the vehicle, but it was only within a week or two since. There were no oil drops on the garage floor. I had the service reminder on and I wanted to get it reset. When I took it to my local Porsche dealer and since the vehicle was under warranty and as I had just purchased it, they did a complete check on it. That's when they found a leak and they replaced RMS and other seals near the transmission. They also found that the thermostat was always in "open" position and they replaced that as well.

So, from my experience, a PPI may or may not be a 100% check. YMMV.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:14 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Here you can get a CPO inspection done on any Porsche with a service history which has less than 200k km. or is less than 9 years old at a cost of $165. Having paid for the inspection you don't necessarily have to take the warranty.

Don't know if they have a different checklist for PPI, but if they are prepared to warrant it, the car should be in pretty good shape.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Friends, thanks for all your recommendations and help, particularly the form
David
Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Gian124
Cruisin'

I am not sure of the accuracy, but my Porsche dealer stated that a vehicle cannot be CPO if it is outside of Porsche dealerships...

You mentioned that it was an *independent seller*. If they are not a Porsche dealer, than that vehicle can never be CPO'ed since it was outside of Porsche's control. This is what I have been told, though it may only apply to dealerships rather than private-party sellers.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gian124
I am not sure of the accuracy, but my Porsche dealer stated that a vehicle cannot be CPO if it is outside of Porsche dealerships...

You mentioned that it was an *independent seller*. If they are not a Porsche dealer, than that vehicle can never be CPO'ed since it was outside of Porsche's control. This is what I have been told, though it may only apply to dealerships rather than private-party sellers.
That is exactly what the "local" 3 hours away dealer told me. As usual, where there is a will there is a way. This afternoon I spoke to the service manager at the Porsche dealership that is going to do my ppi. He confirmed that Porsche will not permit CPO certification for a vehicle they do not sell to you. So they do a constructive purchase and sale of your vehicle to satisfy that requirement. As for me, I have to decide if it makes sense for me to spend what I suspect would be in the range of $3-4k for the CPO. There are 10k miles left on the original warranty which expires in April. I put on around 25k miles per year which means that I would get about two years out of it. Once I know what the precise cost is, I can figure that out. I was interested to discover that Porsche does not charge more for turbo engines which I assume are more complicated or prone to failure.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:56 AM
mcbit
Drifting

These are the terms for Porsche warranty in th UK and here in the UAE.

12 months
A 12 month Porsche Approved Warranty can be purchased and activated up until your vehicle is
9 years old from fi rst registration or has reached 125,000 miles.

A 111-point inspection must be carried out
on your vehicle by a Porsche Centre before a
Porsche Approved Warranty can be sold and
activated. This inspection takes no more than
2 hours and is charged in addition to the cost
of the Porsche Approved Warranty. Any vehicle
without a full Porsche maintenance history
must also have a major maintenance service
completed by a Porsche Centre to become
eligible for cover. A 111-point inspection will
not be required if you purchase a Porsche
Approved Warranty Extension more than
12 months before the expiry of either the
Manufacturer Guarantee or a 2 year Porsche
Approved Warranty Policy.*
Any vehicle faults or problems identifi ed
during the 111-point inspection will require
rectifi cation prior to a Porsche Approved
Warranty being issued to you, which may
be covered under the terms of a Porsche
Approved Warranty or Manufacturer Guarantee
if you have unexpired cover. The purchase of
a Porsche Approved Warranty following the
expiry of the Manufacturer’s Guarantee, or
Porsche Approved Warranty when the vehicle
has not been purchased from an approved
Porsche Centre is referred to as a Porsche
Approved Standalone Warranty. To be eligible
to purchase a Porsche Approved Standalone
Warranty you must have owned your vehicle
for at least 90 days from date of purchase.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

The inspections and warranty is different in the USA vs the ROW.

A PPi inspection on a car that is still covered by the original new factory warranty can be a bit different than on one with many miles and no warranty.

The one year porsche warranty that is referenced -- has never been offered in the USA .... At least that is what I was told a while ago when I asked. I have heard of people finding a private vehicle and having a dealer buy that vehicle from the original owner and then sell it back to you with the CPO. None I asked would do it.

I have purchased many CPO cars and the price depends on the warranty cost to the dealer and the refresh costs ..... it is not just an inspection. I asked my local dealer if he would allow me to "trade" my car and basically buy it back after he did all the CPO stuff to it ... they refused. I thought it was a good idea.

Some dealers are not very flexible. Most of my personal cars are transferred to my company after I get rid of them. I trade my current car and my company buys it from the dealer at the same price - the dealer just charges me for the paperwork and state title fees. This way I don't have to pay tax on the whole price of the new car and the tax on the transferred car when it goes to my company - I save that second tax. I have had dealers initially not want to do it.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deliberate1
That is exactly what the "local" 3 hours away dealer told me. As usual, where there is a will there is a way. This afternoon I spoke to the service manager at the Porsche dealership that is going to do my ppi. He confirmed that Porsche will not permit CPO certification for a vehicle they do not sell to you. So they do a constructive purchase and sale of your vehicle to satisfy that requirement. As for me, I have to decide if it makes sense for me to spend what I suspect would be in the range of $3-4k for the CPO. There are 10k miles left on the original warranty which expires in April. I put on around 25k miles per year which means that I would get about two years out of it. Once I know what the precise cost is, I can figure that out. I was interested to discover that Porsche does not charge more for turbo engines which I assume are more complicated or prone to failure.
+1. My experience was similar: I have maybe 5 dealers within a 3 hour radius, and 1 of them was willing to buy my CTT from me (at a low price), CPO it, then sell it back to me at the low price + CPO costs + any necessary work costs. Seemed like a good deal at the time, but I backed away due to getting taxed by CA again on the repurchase.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Update: Cayenne was delivered by seller to the Porsche dealer and service manager called me. Even before doing the CPO inspection it is obvious that this alternative makes little economic sense. Porsche has a mechanical and cosmetic standard for CPO vehicles. This car has a small scuff on the bumper that would have to be repaired. And while the Bridgestone Duele tires are virtually brand new, they are not Porsche spec'd so they would have to be replaced as well. So I would be looking at $1500, plus the cost of any mechanical issues (brake pads, etc) to bring it up to CPO standards, and then pay about $4400 for the warranty. Not a good deal on a car that will cost me about $32k. If I decide to get a warranty, it will have to be aftermarket. Does not really break my heart because my local Porsche dealer (only one in Maine) is about 3 hours away. I have a very good relationship with the local Audi dealership which probably could do many of the more generic work. Now just waiting for the ppi results.

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase inspection question