Sponsored by:

2012 Cayenne vs. Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 PM
dreggie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Cayenne vs. Touareg

Well I took delivery tonight of my 2012 Cayenne ($69k, 6 cylinder, loaded, includes the $5,600 Burmester audio) and it's a beauty. I traded a 2011 Touareg ($45k with no options, the totally base car) to enjoy interior luxury, prestige and driving fun. While I don't want to seem spoiled and picky, I do have a few disappointments with the Cayenne to note - these noted after only 15 miles of driving and without benefit of the full salesman delivery demo (he was late to bring his kids trick-or-treating and we set the visit for Wednesday at my insistence. I know how much kids love dad time, and he was doing me a favor to deliver the late arriving car today).

The interior is a whole new ball game, of course - especially the amazing seats. The drive is far better, etc. But the point of this post is to identify the weaknesses I observed:

1. I miss the voice commands of the VW where I could simply press a button and say "Call John Smith mobile" and it did it by retrieving the contact from my iPhone/Bluetooth supplied directory listing. The Cayenne seems to want me to scroll the screen while driving. I know that a voice option is available for the Porsche but my dealer strongly advised against it ("doesn't work well"). I do not know if that option would have worked the same/similar way to the VW, but I miss it already. Siri feature on the iPhone 4S is allowing me to somewhat work around this, but the VW was perfect in this area.

2. The rear view camera is VERY disappointing. No clarity or quality night viewing here, and no guide/aiming lines like those in many other rear view setups including the VW. And the beeping sound is too mild - maybe I can adjust this - hopefully, not sure. I know first hand that Audi makes a superior night visible screen on the S4.

3. The overhead cabin light is an imposing horse shoe shaped design that seems to emit, to my astonishment, a cool fluorescent light - talk about a mood killer! I have never been to a Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Neiman Marcus, etc. with fluorescent lighting (WalMart, Sam's Club, Costco, yes). Very disappointing design for a Porsche. And I am yet to figure out how to get it to illuminate when the front door opens even though I have repeatedly switched the door/red light icon that would seem to be the one that might control such response.

4. The SiriusXM Satellite radio unfortunately does not preview the song now playing on a channel before committing to a station selection as the VW offers. In fact, there is no apparent way to casually scroll through the stations in search of a specific channel without the system changing to that station immediately. Extremely frustrating.

5. Where is the internal hard disc space to load my MP3 music (I assume the Cayenne's Nav is hard disc based, right? Why not allocate some space for the driver to use as in the VW)? A shame, really. I have to use USB flash drives to tote my music instead. Not the end of the world, but this is a 2012 car without a now common feature available on other cars.

6. This business of each two supplied keys each changing the radio presets is a pain in the ****. I will terminate that one as soon as I figure out how.

7. I hate speed sensitive automatic radio volume. The car is quiet and there is no need to raise the volume as my speed increases. This seems to be classic German over-engineering. I want this feature turned totally off please. I assume this is possible.

For the first time ever, I am considering returning this vehicle. The problem is what else to buy... X5?

Yikes.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 PM
ColoradoCayenne
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Valid complaints. I have never driven an X5, but my wife has a 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and it is a fantastic car. It has a great camera system - and by system I mean like 6 cameras! Maybe the only thing she wishes it had was an automatic tailgate.

X5 or Range Rover Sport HSE or Supercharged (for a little more $, but a lot more hp).
Old 11-01-2011, 01:26 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But how about handling? Do you actually enjoy driving your P!G or all of these comfort/convenience features are ultimately that much more important?

Nothing wrong if they are, of course, just curious because I don't use/need the voice commands, don't have/need the backup camera (or LCA), don't need for the car to have baby-making lighting, Stern works ok on Siri and that's all I care about (but I think you just need to play around with settings re: changing the station immediately & radio volume).

Good luck with whatever you decide to abandon The P!G for, though
Old 11-01-2011, 02:36 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I have voice command and love it. I am more than happy with the quality of the rear view camera (are you sure it is clean) and all you need to do is read the manual on how to set the guiding lines when you back up the car ... You gotta be kiddin me when you say that you are contemplating returning the vehicle for all the reasons that you go on to elaborate. You bought the cayenne for its interior (fit and finish I'm assuming), prestige and driving dynamics and none of what you claim as inadequacies has got anything to do with those big three ... Yet u want to return it. Hmmm I am puzzled.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:42 AM
SeaPors
Advanced

What else to buy? Given the concerns, probably an Escalade.

A $69k Cayenne, of which $5600 is for audio, is far from loaded. Nicely optioned maybe, like my $68k msrp Cayenne, but not loaded. I traded a Prestige Q5, which was truly fully loaded, for the Cayenne with no regrets. I like to drive.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Nearly all of the items you list were either known up front (or should have been with a reasonable examination of the sales literature) or can be addressed by ReadingTFM. It's also hard to imagine that you are so bummed by these minor issues that you are considering returning the vehicle after all of 15 miles behind the wheel.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Before I got my "11 Cayenne S I drove a diesel X5. Not quite as quiet as the Cayenne. Not as nimble either but then the X 5 is almost 1000 lbs heavier. It is nice inside but not as nice as the Cayenne. Good performance with the diesel. However part of the reason I wanted an SUV was towing and you cannot get a towing package from the factory with the X 5, there is little or no mention of towing in the owners manual and if pressed the dealer will say 6000 lbs limit but it is an after market towing prep instal. Not a bavehicle but also not a Cayenne.

As for the overhead horseshoe light, I just turn it off. Don't have voice command and with the quietness inside I do like the Bose system as I normally listen to either talk radio or classical music. This is our second Cayenne ( the last was an '08 GTS) and the difference is striking. Porsche made some great improvements on an already excellent vehicle. The fuel mileage on the new "S" is outstanding and it will tow my box trailer with ease.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
WFBlue
Advanced

1. Voice Control-works very well if you use the voice recognition set up option.
2. Rear guide lines-what w00t said.
3. Agree-turn the light off.
4. Manual.
5. Ipod. I leave a second generation Ipod in the center console permanently.
6. Manual.
7. Manual. Turn this option off.

Last edited by WFBlue; 11-01-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by WFBlue
1. Voice Control-works very well if you use the voice recognition set up option.
2. Rear guide lines-what w00t said.
3. Agree-turn the light off.
4. Manual.
5. Ipod. I leave a second generation Ipod in the center console permanently.
6. Manual.
7. Manual. Turn this option off.

As to #5 is it sitting there or did you mount it " in the console"
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
d_amt_78
Intermediate

I appreciate your attention to details but I'm just wondering why didn't you explore these issues at the dealership in a Demo Cayenne prior to ordering.

You were able to spot all these issues from a 15 mile drive. You could've done that prior to ordering and saved yourself the time and effort that was wasted in the ordering process, the long wait for delivery, the return back process
and the search for another vehicle.

!!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 AM
dreggie
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks for the comments

The only one of these items I was really aware of was no hard disc for the MP3 music... I actually brought a USB drive to both the test drives. It's not a deal breaker but a wish item. The VW spoiled me here.

As for the rear view camera, I am thrilled to know that I can add the lines and I will check to see if camera is just dirty or wet. My test drives this summer were in Cayennes without that feature working (parts issues relating to Japan tsunami/earthquake/nuke plant, etc., I believe). So this is the first time I have ever seen this feature in action.

I never paired my phone during test drive either... and Siri only came out 3 weeks ago. Again, not a deal breaker here, but the VW uses available technology better.

The fluorescent horse shoe light was not evident to me during the daytime test drives, so that was a total surprise to me. I wonder if someone makes a different color after market bulb. I will likely just take the advise here and just turn it off.

Speed sensitive volume is no biggie to me but thought i would mention it. On past BMWs, user could NEVER completely turn off this annoyance, only diminish its effect. Not sure about this car.

I will likely keep and enjoy this car but I felt the mention of my wish list might interest some. I look forward to really driving this beast... couldn't/wouldn't do that last night for safety sake with so many slowing cars and kids in costumes walking around.

The Cayenne is in a whole different league regarding drive, comfort, prestige... I am only whining a bit because it could be even more. Enhanced creature comforts would be a nice plus, but I am mostly getting what I expected in all.

As for idle thought of returning the car after 15 miles, the truth is that such an option would likely not be available to me after many more miles... hence the quandary. In truth, I will keep this car, enjoy it, and focus on what is has, not what I wish for in the perfect world.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
WFBlue
Advanced

Originally Posted by f4 plt
As to #5 is it sitting there or did you mount it " in the console"
Just sitting there. It's an older nano so it takes up little room.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually love the speed sensitive volume control. You can actually set it to a level of your liking so it does not start blasting at higher speeds. Not sure if you can set it in your new P!G, but I can adjust it in my 2000 Boxster. So, I am sure you can set the level in a newer Porsche.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dreggie

Speed sensitive volume is no biggie to me but thought i would mention it. On past BMWs, user could NEVER completely turn off this annoyance, only diminish its effect. Not sure about this car.
The only thing really relevant to me in my older GTS, I have it switched on and I don't really notice it. However it can be switched off completely in the GTS.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
dreggie
Rennlist Member

Default LED cabin lighting option

So it turns out the the horse shoe shaped cabin light was upgraded to LED via one of the option packages I chose. It sounds nice, but in truth, the LED light is devoid of any warmth and, in my opinion, is a mood buster. No huge deal, but I wish I hadn't checked that box.

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayenne vs. Touareg