Sponsored by:

trans position switch...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
s928s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans position switch...help

So my 04 CS has given me a few "shift to park" warnings. This morning when I got to work it would not recognize park and the CS would not turn off. The dealer diagnosed it as a faulty park switch.

Switch $107.00 at my wholsale cost
Diag .5 hour..install labor 3.0 hours.

labor of 3.0 hours seems steep to me . The switch is on the side of the trans. 2 mount bolts and 1 connector...Does not seem like 3 hours worth of work !!

..QUESTION: has anytone performed this task before ? IF so how complicated it is on the CS as I normally do my own wrenching.

Thanks in advance , David
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If on the side of the trans, it shouldn't be too hard. They may spend more time getting it on the lift and pulling the belly pans than swapping the switch.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM
s928s
Pro

Agreed Scott, I just peeked under the truck and spotted the switch, 3 10mm bolts and a 13mm holding it to the cross shaft. connector on the top. Even looks like you can work around the shields. Granted the front drive shaft makes it close quarters. It looks pretty straight forward to me.

This is what pisses me off about "stealerships". And I have worked as a delership ASM and Manger over the last 20+ years. The rape and pillage their normal customers day in and day out. And we should bend over an take it because a Porsche Master Technician is working on the car !!!

My plan is to change it tomorrow on my lunch hour. I will post the time it too to replace.I am concidering having a long talk with the Stealership GM. What sucks about this dealer is they asked to be and were thisd year one of the major sponsors for my annual car show. migh have to rethink for next years event !!!

David
Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
s928s
Pro

Installed the trans. selector switch today at lunch. on and off the lift 35 minutes. Can easilly be completed with a floor jack. It appears that the failure is due to water ingress. I found alot of corrosion to the terminals and moisture around the pins even though there is a gasket on the connector. Here is a quick step by step.

FYI switch is located on the right side of the transmission. Symptons would be a "shift to park error", check engine light p0705 for transmission range control switch and or the indicator in the dash that shows what gear the trans. is in is inaccurate. mine would not read the car was in park or neutral thus the car car would not turn off with the easy access key.

1. Jack up left side of car and support.
2. Locate switch on the right side of trans just above the front axle shaft.
3. Remove rear spash shield section.
4. Bend the heatshield slightly upwards toward the floorboard to gain access to mounting bolts.
5. Remove the 14mm nut that holds the switch to the shaft, remove the nut and cover.
6. Remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the switch in.
7. Gently work the switch off of the shaft from the transmission. try not to rotate the switch as you remove it from the shaft and lower it.
8. Disconenct the harness. There is enough slack in the cable to access the connector.
9. Match the position of the shaft key on the switch from the old to the new. I did this by laying the new switch over the old to line up the keyway of the shaft.
10. Reinstall and snug the bolts trying to keep the new switch in the same position as the old.
11. check switch opperation. note: if the engine light is on or there is any errors in the system. You need to erase the check engine light error. Otherwise you will not see any correction.

I hope this helps the fellow pig owners.

david
Old 11-19-2011, 07:46 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

was your problem only that the key would not come out. I had the same thing happen to me today, however, truck does not shirt at all no matter where you put the shifter. always in neutral. mine might be more that park switch I guess.

could you still go into reverse and drive? only problem was taking key out?

thanks

jim
Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 PM
s928s
Pro

The CS would go into all of the actual gears. The reading on the display was not coresponding with the
shifter. You can check the linkage where it connects to the gearbox on the left sdie of the trans, the indicator switch is on the right side of the trans. Check the linkage and shifter mechanism in the console also.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my gut says linkage in the console area...as the feeling when you move the shifter is very "light" for lack of a better term. moves from park to drive with very little, if no, friction or weight.
hoping to get some feedback here (rennlist)...nothing comes up in searches. looking in by the base of the shift **** looks like plastic parts in there.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info.

May I request that you submit this writeup (DIY) to Renntech.org too please?

Quick Reply: trans position switch...help