Sponsored by:

Squeaking Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Squeaking Steering Rack

My 2004 Cayenne S steering rack is making a racket. (No Pun intended).
When i turn it left and right it makes a squeaking noise. With or without the car running. Anyone else having the same sort of issue? The steering doesn't feel bad or anything, just noisy.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it's the rack? Check the rubber bushing where the steering rod passes through the floorboards. A little light silicone treatment there could stop the squeaking.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that was quite common early on and resulted in a large number of steering rack replacements under warranty.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you brother... or sister. (Gender is so, indeterminate, on this forum - just ask Pops, or Divot, or that Homo guy who's "no homo"). What's up with all the problems at once, damn P!g-let?!? Cardan shaft makes it to 108K, andnow it gives up? At the same time the b!tch's transmission is in clunk mating season. And now this whiny, squealy, vibrateous harmonic dissonance on every millimeter shift of the steering wheel. My CTT's components are competing to see which can make the most noise. So far, the subwoofer is not winning.

Ranting aside, I am leaning toward something servo on this one. WTF is the servo anyway? All I know is a name like "servo" is definitely a likely culprit (did I mention "cardan" already?) I'll probably try the silicone trick this weekend just for kicks, at which point I fully expect the horn to spontaneously fill with water and then stay on until it drains my battery.

At the risk of staying on-thread, my little issue only happens when the engine is running. Sounds like really bad whale noises, but oscillates between on and off based on the slightest adjustment of the wheel. And then seems to get drowned out from road noise at real speeds.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well Lucas electric now makes a vacuum cleaner. It doesn't suck!

If Porsche keeps making crap like this they are going to end up with jokes like above....

Quick Reply: Squeaking Steering Rack