Sponsored by:

Advice wanted on 2012 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM
llllorac
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice wanted on 2012 Cayenne S

I am a newby Porsche owner....would like some seasoned general advice about getting my car serviced. It has 800 miles on it right now...I'm suspect about the 10,000 mile oil change interval. I have always change oil more frequently on my domestic cars. (especially the first change)....some opinions would be greatly appreciated. I live in the U.P. of Mich and have no dealers near me(closest is 140mi)...bought the car in Chicago(300 mi away)....not quite sure where I will get the car serviced as we winter in Arizona and might be convenient to do it somewhere out there. What can I expect to pay for an oil change. I did pop and estra $3900 the 7 year, 75,000 extended warranty because the car stickered at 85m and I am particuarily nervous about the long term reliability of the air suspension and various electronic options. Anyone out there get a car serviced at a different dealer than the one the car was purchased from? Do I need to be concerned about getting second class treatment for service from a dealer I didn't purchase the car from?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't think there's much concern about having a non purchasing dealer doing service on your car although you might not get perks like a free loaner, depending on the dealer, until you've established yourself as a repeat customer. In the old days I was a change-every-3000-miles type but with unleaded fuel, ultra-clean burning engines, and synthetic oil I now follow the factory recommended mileage/time for changes. With the miles I drive that ends up being once a year. BTW, I always do my own changes unless they're freebies as part of a maintenance plan.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

llllorac, first off, welcome to the P!g Pen (and RL).

Secondly you'll need to have (or develop quickly) very thick skin to play in the P!g Pen. Sensitive types don't last long in here (1 ran off just yesterday as a matter of fact and closed his thread on his way out the door).

Thirdly, (and the reason for comment #2) is if you were concerned about service at your non purchasing dealer you should have addressed that before you bought it. Any Porsche dealer can and will service your vehicle. Some are better than others so YMMV. It will be that way whether you bought it from them or not.

Fourth. Oil change frequencies is always a debatable subject in in any car forum I've ever been involved with. Personally, I do 7,500 - 10,000 mi. in most cars w/ synthetic oil (my 993 is a big exception though). I would never go 15k mi. in any car I was going to keep. I would suggest letting the dealer do the ones recommended by the factory at least and any ones in between do yourself for warranty reasons. But for every 5 car guys you ask that question you will get 7 answers so pick one you think makes the most sense to you.

Best of luck and enjoy your Pepper.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be the third guy to reply and tell you that my P!G gets driven a lot (130k miles on the previous one in 5 years; currently approaching 15k on the newer one since February) and I do oil changes every 5k miles at a non-dealer shop.

Welcome to RL and enjoy your P ! G
Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993BillW
llllorac, first off, welcome to the P!g Pen (and RL).

Secondly you'll need to have (or develop quickly) very thick skin to play in the P!g Pen. Sensitive types don't last long in here (1 ran off just yesterday as a matter of fact and closed his thread on his way out the door).

Thirdly, (and the reason for comment #2) is if you were concerned about service at your non purchasing dealer you should have addressed that before you bought it. Any Porsche dealer can and will service your vehicle. Some are better than others so YMMV. It will be that way whether you bought it from them or not.

Fourth. Oil change frequencies is always a debatable subject in in any car forum I've ever been involved with. Personally, I do 7,500 - 10,000 mi. in most cars w/ synthetic oil (my 993 is a big exception though). I would never go 15k mi. in any car I was going to keep. I would suggest letting the dealer do the ones recommended by the factory at least and any ones in between do yourself for warranty reasons. But for every 5 car guys you ask that question you will get 7 answers so pick one you think makes the most sense to you.

Best of luck and enjoy your Pepper.
Agree down the line except that there is no reason to pay dealer prices (or pay anyone FTM) for a factory recommended oil change just based on warranty coverage. Your warranty legally isn't dependant on who does the work. I keep receipts for the factory parts/filters and the oil that I purchase and document in writing when the change was done. It's a minor hassle compared to paying a dealer shop prices and I have never had an issue with warranty coverage because of this in 40 years; ever. Besides I like doing my own changes.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agree down the line except that there is no reason to pay dealer prices (or pay anyone FTM) for a factory recommended oil change just based on warranty coverage. Your warranty legally isn't dependant on who does the work. I keep receipts for the factory parts/filters and the oil that I purchase and document in writing when the change was done. It's a minor hassle compared to paying a dealer shop prices and I have never had an issue with warranty coverage because of this in 40 years; ever. Besides I like doing my own changes.
Like I said, 7 diff. opinions. IF you do have an issue (see the piston scoring threads) the dealer is more likely to stand up for you if they know the work was done at their shop.

Hell, I do the oil changes on my '06 Pepper and 993, and replaced the clutch/flywheel on the 993 myself but on a new under warranty vehicle I would let the dealer do the oil changes.

Personally, I wouldn't believe a word that dude Pops says. I hear he even has leg fur!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Like I said, 7 diff. opinions. IF you do have an issue (see the piston scoring threads) the dealer is more likely to stand up for you if they know the work was done at their shop.

Hell, I do the oil changes on my '06 Pepper and 993, and replaced the clutch/flywheel on the 993 myself but on a new under warranty vehicle I would let the dealer do the oil changes.

Personally, I wouldn't believe a word that dude Pops says. I hear he even has leg fur!
TEHO. Really would like to see that leg fur, though........

Quick Reply: Advice wanted on 2012 Cayenne S