Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation/jerking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not familiar with the details of Porsche injection system (Does anyone have a diagram?), but from my experience with Bosch FI in other cars, I'd say your problem is there; likely one of the sensors.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 AM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
OK first of all it sounds like your Indy is going to need a PIWIS since resetting the TCU for instance cannot be done any other way.

1 - EGAS is the proportional learning system which tries to match throttle response to your style of driving. In effect it can make the car feel like a dog when you want to drive aggressively sometimes. resetting it helps but it will always adapt to your driving style. You can help it by turning off PSM and driving like a loon for 30 minutes or so.

2 - The TCU on 04's were problematic and many were replaced. He can talk to it using PIWIS, he can reflash it also using PIWIS.

3 - Check all the coils for cracks

4 - Get a list of error codes

Changing the plugs does not reset anything but you might have damaged the coils when you took them off or even put them back in different places so a crack moved to a more sensitive location

Post error messages when you get them
Thanks Mudman2

Error Codes found:
P0357 Ignition Coil Primary/Secondary
P0307 Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected

My mechanic switched the coils of cylinder 7 and cylinder 3 back in January and the same error codes - P0307 - came up this time.

I guess my question is really whether this problem has to be fixed at the dealer or a professional mechanic can handle?

Last edited by rting; 03-28-2013 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typo / missing words
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Because the coils are a huge source of trouble and your getting the code I would have him replace all coils, they tend to go in large groups rather than one at a time

That might be all that is wrong

And yes he can do that
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
rting
Instructor

Because the coils are a huge source of trouble and your getting the code I would have him replace all coils, they tend to go in large groups rather than one at a time

That might be all that is wrong

And yes he can do that
Is this a Porsche TSB with damage coding (ignition coil):
PQIS: 28200 1200
WWS: 2820 012 000 4
part numbers: 948 602 104 07 and 955 602 101 04
Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 AM
rklisme
1st Gear

I had similar issues in my 2006 CTT and replaced all eight coils and what a difference. I also found that my upper engine mounting arm was in bad shape as well. Just ordered the part.
I am running the Bosch plugs but was wondering does anyone have a preference or are these just fine? The NGK or much cheaper and I would love to try them if recommended. I only ask because my number 3 cylinder was coding misfires and I want to replace the plugs.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 AM
rting
Instructor

Hi all, my mechanic is saying the following:

"Okay, since the same (cyl 7) misfire code repeated in spite of swapping 3 and 7 coils, I would like to rule out the harness feed/ground/trigger. If that checks out ok (during time when symptoms are present) then by elimination the coil(s) must be faulty.

Then I would suggest replacing Number 7 coil, clear codes, and see if other cylinder misfire codes start to appear (which I think is probably going to happen) - then we replace all other coils."

It sounds like everyone is thinking that all coils needs replacing.

Key question: How do we know new coils would fix the issues? What confirmation should we look for after the coils are replaced?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you can visually inspect the coils, what appears to be a vertical pencil line is the crack
Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM
rting
Instructor

you can visually inspect the coils, what appears to be a vertical pencil line is the crack
Oh!! I have not seen one but will certainly look for cracks - as such, this problem should persist since the January occurrence.

After the mechanic reset the warning light back in January, why does it take the same problem months to come back? With the same error code (P0307)?

I do not drive it often enough?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Cayenne Plat
6th Gear

Default porsche cayenne platinum edition

Hello,

Just picked up my cayenne platinum edition from dealer a month back. Only 3000km on it. The car make strange bang noise from engine compartment when started in cold weather. This only happens when the car is cold and only for initial 10-15 seconds, after that no problem at all. the noise is very loud as if something exploding inside the engine. the reeves start to drop from 1100 to 700 and then go back to 1100 until the car warms up? Took it to the dealer and he couldn't find any issues. Any ideas? you can see and hear the engine in the attached link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnc6ad13bs..._0383.MOV?dl=0

Quick Reply: Hesitation/jerking when cold