Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011/2012 V6 Owners, Why did you buy your V6 and not X5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:08 PM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2011/2012 V6 Owners, Why did you buy your V6 and not X5?

Hi there,

This is for the owners of the 2011/2012 V6 owners who were considering X5 3.5xdrive and decided to buy your pepper instead.

I would like to know why you didn't buy X5?

Wife and I are looking at Cayenne V6 but can't find any used 2011 for under $55k so we decided to look at new 2012. But, the dealers are not willing to deal since these cars in such short supply and demand is still high. A new one with just the convenience package goes for about $57k.

I just found an 2011 X5 3.5xdrive that was a dealer demo with 10,xxxx miles and asking price is $54,000. It's got just about everything on it.

COLD WEATHER PKG -inc: heated front seats, heated steering wheel, retractable headlight washers
COMFORT ACCESS KEYLESS ENTRY
CONVENIENCE PKG -inc: universal garage-door opener, power tailgate, rear manual side window shades, auto-dimming rearview mirror w/digital compass, lumbar support, 4-zone climate control, ambiance lighting, BMW Assist w/Bluetooth
PREMIUM HI-FI SYSTEM
RUNNING BOARDS
SATELLITE RADIO -inc: (1) year subscription
SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION
TECHNOLOGY PKG -inc: rear view camera w/top view, park distance control, navigation system, online information services, voice-command, real time traffic information

Thank you in advance.

Ren
Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have an X5 diesel and love it! I wanted to wait on the Cayenne since it was a new model, etc., waiting for the early adopters to work out the bugs! My advice would not to buy that dealer demo. It probably hasn't been broken in properly and was probably dogged for for 10,000 miles. You can order one for about 6-7% off MSRP. They are plenty of dealers in that area willing to take an order. PM me if you need more info. As stated before in previous therads, if you want the diesel, there is a 3500 eco credit off the top, probably some type of other BMW promo and good financing rates it needed, getting you to that 50k mark.
The main problem with BMW's are they very expensive to maintain post-warranty/service after 50,000 miles. My X5 will go back at lease end and I will probably buy the Cayenne GTS if it's available! The Cayenne will be more reliable post-warranty for sure. So, if you plan on keeping your vehicle for many years, then buy the Cayenne. You will be glad you did!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 PM
WFBlue
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Divot. Extremely helpful.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Tex94
Instructor

X5 is a nice car and my second choice after the Cayenne. Pepper just drives better in terms of handling, responsiveness, etc. Plus the interior is outstanding whereas the X5 is a little bland. I am also not a fan of the iDrive system and find the touchscreen vastly superior. Still, X5 is a great ride - my wife has one.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 PM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I have an X5 diesel and love it! I wanted to wait on the Cayenne since it was a new model, etc., waiting for the early adopters to work out the bugs! My advice would not to buy that dealer demo. It probably hasn't been broken in properly and was probably dogged for for 10,000 miles. You can order one for about 6-7% off MSRP. They are plenty of dealers in that area willing to take an order. PM me if you need more info. As stated before in previous therads, if you want the diesel, there is a 3500 eco credit off the top, probably some type of other BMW promo and good financing rates it needed, getting you to that 50k mark.
The main problem with BMW's are they very expensive to maintain post-warranty/service after 50,000 miles. My X5 will go back at lease end and I will probably buy the Cayenne GTS if it's available! The Cayenne will be more reliable post-warranty for sure. So, if you plan on keeping your vehicle for many years, then buy the Cayenne. You will be glad you did!
Thanks for the feedback. Originally, I wanted to stay as close to $50k as possible and the fully loaded X5 is so temping. I do plan on keeping whatever I buy for the long term. So, If I go the Cayenne route, I'll have to save a little more for it. The research continues...
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM
EasternLI
6th Gear

knowing the X5 is probably up for a major refresh (exterior and interior) soon was a big part of my decision. Didn't want to have an old looking model after only a year or so.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

not sure about the restyling but about the diesel, there is a 4.0 diesel in europe that should hit the US pretty soon, may be as a 2012 model because so far the only 2012 are the gas engine, the diesel engine has not been annouced for the 2012 model. so hold on if you want the diesel.

the X was facelifted last year so it should stay on for a good 2 to 3 years like this, but after that it will be refreshed indeed.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WFBlue
Thanks Divot. Extremely helpful.
You're welcome. It's always nice to be encouraged by another paying member.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 PM
WFBlue
Advanced

Originally Posted by Divot
You're welcome. It's always nice to be encouraged by another paying member.
What happened to your insightful post?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I think it was moved to the Off Topic forum, which is only available to paying members.

I scraped together the $17 membership fee by redeeming deposits from empty cans I collected from beside the highway. It took less than a year.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM
gte
Advanced

I like the fact that there are so few on the road. I think the handling is better, and it feels more solid all the way around. The interior is not even close.

Where are you a golf pro?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:10 PM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Originally Posted by gte
I like the fact that there are so few on the road. I think the handling is better, and it feels more solid all the way around. The interior is not even close.

Where are you a golf pro?
The inside is very different. I'm a pro in The San Francisco Bay area
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I always liked the X5 and the more square back allow for more loading space. For luggage you will never need it as pilling things up is not good, everything slides everywhere, but if you want to move a tall object that comes handy. The interior of the new cayenne looks great now but with that many tiny plastic button in the center console, I wonder how well it will withstand the abuse over time. I bet the button will start scratching and dirt will accumulate and eventually button will get smashed or broken.

I still love the cayenne and I am really on the fence ordering one but man without test drive available that is quite a jump of faith ! they could at least keep one at the dealer for ordering purpose.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 AM
gte
Advanced

Originally Posted by dagolfpro
The inside is very different. I'm a pro in The San Francisco Bay area
Different in a good way IMO. pro at which golf course?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 AM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Fremont Park Golf Center

Quick Reply: 2011/2012 V6 Owners, Why did you buy your V6 and not X5?