Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne S Brake Proportioning Warning And Stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 03:00 AM
pnickisson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Kadn

I had the message when I had left the car (2005 3.2) for 5 weeks in Saudi Arabia..in an underground car park. So like you I don't have any water so not sure why I had the message.

It wouldn't let me start or move it out of park.

Fortunately I have a Durametric so I cleared all the fault codes and then it started and has not returned.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:29 AM
kadn33
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pnickisson
Thank you Kadn

I had the message when I had left the car (2005 3.2) for 5 weeks in Saudi Arabia..in an underground car park. So like you I don't have any water so not sure why I had the message.

It wouldn't let me start or move it out of park.

Fortunately I have a Durametric so I cleared all the fault codes and then it started and has not returned.
Glad to know you got it sorted out. No rains here in Qatar but the one time it rained heavy I had forgotten the sunroof open

Last year I left the car parked for one month almost and started right away when I was back because the battery was pretty much new. Next month I am leaving again for three weeks and I might disconnect the battery. In any case I hope it´ll start fine when back.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:48 PM
GPacifico
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem with my '09 S about a year ago. I dried out the footwell and repaired the splices. Everything was fine until recently when the problem came back. I pulled up the carpet and everything was bone dry. None of the repaired splices looked corroded, but I re-spliced them again to be sure, with no improvement. What was interesting this time was that the problem was intermittent and never left me completely stuck. When trying to start the car I would get the brake proportioning warning or depress brake pedal message and it wouldn't start. After a few tries, sometimes 1 or 2, sometimes 10 or 20, the car would finally start, but I'd still have the brake proportioning warning, and the shifter would be locked. Every time, though, after some period of time, anywhere between 5 seconds and 5 minutes, the errors would clear and everything would go back to normal. This would happen multiple times a day sometimes, other times it wouldn't happen for a day or two. The intermittent nature of the problem led me to believe it wasn't a corroded wire, as you'd either have a good connection or not, it wouldn't fluctuate. Based on some reading I did on various forums, I decided to replace the 433 relay under the driver's seat. It supplies power to the CAN bus network, so it made sense that a sticky relay would cause the intermittent behavior. The new relay went in about 5 days ago, and the problem seems to be fixed. It's a super easy fix; the relay can be accessed by moving the driver's seat all the way forward and up.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM
pnickisson
Intermediate

Ok - so as previously explained by other contributors. The wires that were poorly spliced in the footwell area under the carpet had come apart. I reconnected them by stripping back some of the wire twisting the two wires together and then folding them back and covering with electricians tape. I then cable tied them to rest of the harness. I bought this car a few weeks ago and the previous owner had never had this message. I think it happened to me when I put my foot on the carpet in front of the foot plate by the side of the pedals. This is where the wired were so my pressure with my foot must have weakened the connection.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 PM
simssj
5th Gear

Putting a "bump" on this post. I had this problem with my 04 CS and repairing the "splices" did the trick. I did have to clear codes with the diagnostic tool when I was done, and that cleared most of them, except a "PSM Off" message, which cleared on the victory lap around the block.
Thanks for the detailed fix, friends!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 PM
onefivebill
1st Gear

I have a 05 3.2 and is having the same problems and it’s not wet under and wires looked good I need help brother
Old 10-17-2019, 01:16 AM
pnickisson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onefivebill
I have a 05 3.2 and is having the same problems and it’s not wet under and wires looked good I need help brother
There is a video on YouTube... Google the ’S brake proportion warning’ and do the repair as the guy does in the video by taking back the carpet and looking for the wires that need stripping back and reconnecting. They are easy to see as they are spliced badly.

I did it and the error has gone and has never come back. It's poor original wiring from Porsche and has nothing to do with the water is just that the wires don't connect as well as they should and they are causing the error.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by onefivebill
Did you peel the tape off of the splices and check them? Just looking at the bundle won't tell you what's going on under the tape.

Mine were so bad the exposed conductor was completely gone. Just green powder left under the tape. But it looked fine from the outside.

Originally Posted by pnickisson
...It's poor original wiring from Porsche and has nothing to do with the water is just that the wires don't connect as well as they should and they are causing the error.
You'd think that on a car that stickered at $93k, the wiring would be a bit better than 'crimp the conductors together and wrap it with cloth tape'.

For the cost of the car, they couldn't at least have used Gorilla tape?
Old 11-04-2019, 08:54 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

my '09 GTS has exactly this issue; carpet wet, multiple warnings and stuck in park..........I'll peel back the carpet and check wiring.

does the carpet etc all go back together easily?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:03 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not hard to put the carpet back in place, just have to shove it back under the plastic.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Confirmed my Cayenne GTS had the identical issue as described above (Toureg), peeled back the sodden carpet and the Orange wire connection had parted. Repaired the connection as well as the Black wires as I was in there and issues resolved. Going back in tomorrow when carpet has fully dried, solder and shrink the connections then reinstall carpet.

It does seem incredulous Porsche would design/engineer such poor wiring connections..........must have had Mr Lucas doing this section.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Molitoth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are NOT having Water leak issues and you are having these symptoms listed in the thread, don't under-estimate the importance of replacing the 433 relay switch near the battery!

I had all of the wires re-spliced and repaired and still had this issue occurring on a random basis.

After a week, I finally got the idea to wiggle the 433 relay while the car was on and showing fault. Instantly fixed the issue as it seems the connection has some type of fault.

New ones cost about $40 on amazon.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:03 AM
Dokunmath
1st Gear

Default Mr dokun

Originally Posted by touareg
Wow, this got a lot worse, car would start, but got ignition lock malfunction, gear select malfunction, suspension fault and had ABS, Brake, Check Engine and a few more I forgot on top of the Brake Proportioning.

I had to rip the center console out, to move the lock out of the way and get it out of park.

BTW if you have a 2008-2010 you only need to remove the center console cover, not the shifter cover, etc to release the lock, completely different than the 2003 to 2006 models. Found this out after I ripped out the foam, shifter, cover plates, etc.

I was able to drive the car home in limp mode, 1 gear, no MFI, my Brake lights did not work (Found that out after I got home and was suspicious when I saw people like 10 car lengths behind me!)

Anyways, after 30 minute drive I got home, started to put the basics back together and leave it open enough so I can put it in neutral for a tow to the shop, then I heard a bunch of clicking and the car went back to normal!

I hope it was just moisture, not sure how to proceed now...
Mr
Old 07-13-2022, 01:46 PM
robdixon
3rd Gear

hi, I know this is an old thread, but my 2004 cayenne has the same issue.
can you tell me a bit more about 433 relay?
what is it for? part code? where exactly is it?
appreciate your help
thanks
Old 07-18-2022, 10:57 AM
robdixon
3rd Gear

Default PSM Relay 433

I'm answering my own question here, I replaced relay 955 615 027 00 under the passenger seat (right hand drive) and it cleared the error.
so for those of you who don't have wet carpets or want to rip them up, have a look at this relay.
There is another relay of the same type that controls the starter solenoid.
Cheers,

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S Brake Proportioning Warning And Stuck in park