Sponsored by:

programming trailer module

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Rick M Belton
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programming trailer module

My 2004 Cayenne S has option 1D8 for trailer towing module prewire . I want to order the module and harness but "dont" want to have to have it programmed so it will work . Some say there's was a plug and play, others say it has to be programmed . Can anyone enlighten me on this difference in operation ? Is it just a chance you take , I am not near a dealer so programming is a big problem ...
thanks Rick M
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Rick M Belton
Track Day

43 views and no response , I thought more people dealt with this problem ... thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I added the hitch , harness and module to my my 04CS I had to have it flashed at the dealer for it to work.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick M Belton
43 views and no response , I thought more people dealt with this problem ... thanks
A search of the forum would have revealed that the 1D6 module would likely be delivered in a RoW programming configuration. A US dealer would then update the unit via PIWIS configuration to US settings.

The 1D6 would "work" as a plug and play device, however it was not designed to self adapt between US and RoW configurations.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Rick M Belton
Track Day

Smile

Originally Posted by ltc
A search of the forum would have revealed that the 1D6 module would likely be delivered in a RoW programming configuration. A US dealer would then update the unit via PIWIS configuration to US settings.

The 1D6 would "work" as a plug and play device, however it was not designed to self adapt between US and RoW configurations.
Thanks Lewis , that was what I was looking for
Old 08-25-2011, 12:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It was just your lucky day ... I learned a little about 1D6 from Larry before he died.

IIRC, a RoW programmed unit will "work" as a plug and play, albeit you might get some sort of message like "Check Trailer Lights" or "!" on the dash display ...

Only in very rare (and documented cases) will you lose all the lighting ... at which point it's Maglites and Racer's Tape ...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:07 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I DIY'd my trailer hitch on an '04 CTT. Turns out something needed to be triggered to tell the ECU it now had a tow hitch. Lucky for me, Loren from RennTech lives nearby with a PIWIS. Took him maybe 5 minutes to code.

Quick Reply: programming trailer module