Sponsored by:

Trying to decide purchase 2008 or 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 AM
turbo3six
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Trying to decide purchase 2008 or 2009

I'm looking at GTS's and would like advice with regard to the difference between 08 vs 09 model year. I've read here that the PCM was upgraded in 09. What changed? Is the upgrade significant enough to exclude the 08's from consideration (price and milage excepted)? I have found that Suncoast offers an OEM retrofit towing pkg. Any reason that the towing pkg would not perform or fit as though it was an original build option?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:19 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New PCM is touch screen and much more user friendly. Preparation for mobile phone allows network access through SIM card in dash or Bluetooth through phones with Sim Access Profile (SAM). The number of SAM enabled mobile phones is limited but it is a better implementation as the in PCM phone actually makes the call and the user cell phone Bluetooth only supplies the necessary information from the SIM for network access. You can be connected and talk all day and still have a useful battery when you get out of the car.

Not sure about the other differences but the above for me is a big one; otherwise I love my '09.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
New PCM is touch screen and much more user friendly. Preparation for mobile phone allows network access through SIM card in dash or Bluetooth through phones with Sim Access Profile (SAM). The number of SAM enabled mobile phones is limited but it is a better implementation as the in PCM phone actually makes the call and the user cell phone Bluetooth only supplies the necessary information from the SIM for network access. You can be connected and talk all day and still have a useful battery when you get out of the car.

Not sure about the other differences but the above for me is a big one; otherwise I love my '09.
+1. Unless the deal on the '08 is very sweet, pass on it and go for an '09. The trailer hitch option is best taken on a factory order otherwise you'll fall into the "Larry Syndrome" of aftermarket wiring and end up hating your P!G.

Do a search on this topic as it has been discussed numerous times in the past; as is the subject of "Manual vs. Tiptronic".

Quick Reply: Trying to decide purchase 2008 or 2009