Porsche Cayenne 2008 Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 AM
twoshots
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne 2008 Clutch problem

Hi all,

be gentle, this is a first post by a reader of the forum, looks I have the need to reach out to the experts.

Don't slate me, I have a manual 2008 Cayenne S - its manual, because I like manual cars, and have driven nothing but for the last 25 years, and I have driven a lot! I bought it second hand last year with 4000km on the clock from the porsche dealer here in the Middle East. Lovely car.

Turns out Service not that lovely. First the panoramic sunroof had problems (well it is hot here), they are fixed now, but porsche last year took over a week to "diagnose the problem" and after a bit if ranting it was fixed under warranty.

Service done at about 14k in January - all well.

at 22km nearly four weeks ago the clutch started to behave strangely. The engine revved up without accelerator depressed when I pressed the clutch. Before I could do anything about it, the clutch totally passed out.

The car had not been in the desert since the last service, I don't drive hard, and we don't have any hills, just a lot of stop and go traffic.

Porsche now claims its excessive wear and tear, and the flywheel is broken and needs to be replaced. So far I am not coughing up the repaircosts, as I think a clutch should last longer than 22km on a cayenne, especially given Porsches recent communication (june 29) on reliability in all four corners of the world. I have escalated to the middle eastern Manager, recieved a "no" at first pass, but still not prepared to give up. Prepared to pay half, but not full amount.

Any advice how best to escalate? Anyone with similar problem? I read the story here about a GTS with a clutch failure and wrongly wired clutch on a GTS, would really like to hear more.

Thank you would be great to hear and get some thoughtful advice!!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On the GTS, first gear is so short that you have to be very deliberate in your actions to not ride the clutch a bit. Literally I would take my foot off the c-pedal and immediately reengage the clutch to shift into second. For this reason, unless I came to a complete stop, I usually kept it in second gear and rolled through stop signs at 2-5mph without ever touching the clutch. This was not possible to doely difficult to do in stop and go traffic (such as my commute on I-80 through Berkeley), where you have to shift into first about 50 times in three miles. Hence, I finally sold the GTS. My clutch was going strong at 19K when I sold it, but my dealer said that most of their manual GTS's had their clutch changed between 8-15K miles. I'm sure you are not riding the clutch, but I think Porsche is taking a offensive position based on a lot of folks asking for Porsche to cover replacement costs.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
twoshots
6th Gear

Thanks, that is really helpful. I was doing just that, slipping into second immediately in stop and go traffic. We don't have many hills like in the bay area here in Doha, but plenty of stop and go. Still, I find the action offensive, and have offered to settle for half. The warranty says clutch is covered, except for wear and tear which is obviously the get out of jail card, and they are playing it hard. They also can't drive it themselves, which is why they always tow it to the workshop (and I have seen them snapping the clutch before...)

Other than selling up, which will be impossible over here, as there are only 2 manual cayennes in the country, any other ideas? Ah yes, and it's the clutch fly wheel which they claim had seen excessive wear and tear, although they have assured me that everything was fine at 14k during the last service, but I don't believe they actually test drove it.

Thanks again... It such a great car that it's really sad seeing it treated like that!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
twoshots
6th Gear

Now I have another question. A Leaflet ironically arrived in my letterbox, about warranty extension, it boast that it covers gearbox and engine. Has anyone here taken this out? Is it worth it? I am leaning towards a no given my experience, but like to get your views.

I am slowly resolving to swallow the fee, but setting an appointment with the service manager to discuss my option and my experience, with the slim hope of them moving at the last minute.

Views?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 PM
twoshots
6th Gear

Thanks all for reading this thread. 115 views is not bad on this issue.

However, ths story continues.

I have written to Porsche now, and have told them that I want to resolve the issue, but want to Have some questions answered. Lo and behold, they called and sent a driver out to collect me from my office. Their place is in an industrial area. Before they came and picked me up, I made clear that want someone with responsibility there to discuss my issue and that they should prepare answers to my points. The points raised centered at the Porsche customer charter, a mechanical explanation about how a cluth could break that quickly, their after sales warranty. I also asked for the parts and to talk to a mechanic who could explain to me On those parts what went wrong, and how I can look after the clutch better.

Upon arrival, I was greater by a service advisor,no senior person in sight. He could and did not want to answer and address any of my questions, and demanded full payment. I offered half, and the other half once my questions have been adressed. He declined and did not accept. So I left empty handed.

I find this service offensive and would like to understand why Porsche built great cars, but treat their customers without any respect and wasting my and their employees time on this matter.

Has anyone here had similar issues? You can always PM me with contacts I can escalate this to. I am one step away of using some very good press contacts in the region and escalate it to the press.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
twoshots
6th Gear

Oops sorry, I was of course greeted...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
twoshots
6th Gear

Ok, have Not heard much, here is an update. I drive the car again, and had for now pay the cost. The issue is still open. Everyone from the dealer to the regional manager confirms that they should have checked the car better, and it's not my fault. The clutch was changed at 5150 mm before, and now again at 22000. I was not informed that the clutch had already replaced when I bought the car. Porsche also confirmed that road conditions can make clutches fail, so it seems to me that the cayenne is simply not made for desert and hot roads. Guys, watch out on that one!!!

anyone out there willing to help?

Still fighting on.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne 2008 Clutch problem