Sponsored by:

Dension GW500 in 2008 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 AM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dension GW500 in 2008 Cayenne

I just completed installation on my car; 3 hours start to finish. Most of my questions were answered in advance by Eric at Bumperplugs. The good news is it works great; sound is top quality and it plays my iPod playlists in random mode as I want.
Things I learned re installation in Cayennes (mine had the factory CD changer installed):
1. The changer and the Dension cannot be in the primary MOST loop together. It is possible to retain the changer but the CDC is removed from the loop and connected directly to the secondary optical port on the Dension. Thus, if (a) you don't care about the changer and you don't want the Dension in the rear compartment with it, you need to optical loop/bypass cable (you unplug the MOST connector from the CDC and plug this loop cable in, to complete the MOST loop). or (b) you put the Dension in the rear by the CDC, then just unplug the MOST from the CDC and plug it into the Dension, or (c) you want the CDC so you need the MOST extension cable and you need to put the Dension within reach of that cable (besides trying to route and hide that cable).
2. The best location for my needs is up behind the glove box ( see http://www.mss1.com/install_tips_porsche.pdf for how to get the glove box out). The optical cable (MOST) and the power cable can be routed around to the back of the PCM head unit (see http://cayenne.rennlist.com/cayenne/gallery.htm for how to get PCM out).
3. Power needs to be "on all the time" and the best place to tap this is the cable in the back of the PCM. The reference above (mss1.com) shows how to connect the power and ground.
Good luck! Sound quality is worth the pain. If Dension ever hired a good english tech writer they could own the market!

Quick Reply: Dension GW500 in 2008 Cayenne