Sponsored by:

2012 cayenne all seasons vs summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:31 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default 2012 cayenne all seasons vs summer tires

Can someone please comment on what the all season tires are that come stock with the 2011-12 cayenne v6? Do people often opt for the summer tires and purchase separate winters? I have ordered the 19" Design II wheels. This past winter was especially brutal in Boston and I wonder whether I should opt for the summer tires with plans on buying winters regardless since there is such a huge difference with winter tread.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the summer performance tires and will be buying wheels and snow tires for the winter months. Our winters are pretty wicked, and I put a lot of miles on the road in the winter, some of it in slightly rural areas.
Partly personal preference for separate snow/summer tires, partly justification for driving in a snowier climate.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 PM
hrd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Winter tires on the other hand have been specifically designed to be used in the cold season. A common misconception is that you don't need a winter tire if there is no actual snow. That is not true. Winter tires have been created to perfectly suit the cold temperatures in winter, even if these temperatures aren't associated with snow. According to existing research, as soon as the temperature drops below 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit), a winter tire performs much better than an all-season one. The lower the temperature, the better the winter tire performs. The exact opposite happens with all-season tires."

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/wi...ons-27190.html

http://cars.about.com/od/adviceforow.../snowtires.htm

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html
Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 894 Posts

I'd go with a set of summers and a set of winters.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 AM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these trucks are pretty capable in the snow. I have the '11 v6 with the standard 18" wheels/all season tires and had no problem plowing through 12"+ of fresh snow in tahoe, and pulling a friends explorer out of a snowbank when he skidded off the highway.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running my Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow (19") through the summer and on. They're much quieter than the Diamaris (I hated them, but I've never liked Michelin), are wearing well and I've noticed no change in handling during hot days. I'm quite impressed with these tires. We'll see when it gets really hot.

Quick Reply: 2012 cayenne all seasons vs summer tires