Sponsored by:

Austin Tx to Pagoda Springs Co road trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Austin Tx to Pagoda Springs Co road trip

Significant others family has a ranch in Pagoda Springs and I have been briefed on what do's and dont's are around the ranch..........do keep sled parked close by while fly fishing due to bears and cougars......(really)?

My main concern is aside from oil and tire checks before undertaking the drive.

What other concerns should I consider going from dry hilly austin to Colorado where I have never driven and have no background on road conditions or requirements in mountains or highways.

I am on the cusp of installing 22 techarts with summer tires.......but dont know if I should keep the stock 17s on with All terrain tires?

Site seeing recommendations or must dos are encouraged!!

Also bringin along the lab and border collie......would they be bear or cougar bait?

Thanks ...
Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Denver. You will enjoy Southern Colorado. I think you mean Pagosa Springs, not Pagoda Springs.

If so, the Great Sand Dunes national park is about an hour or so away. Lots of fun walking up and down. You can even camp on the sand. But not drive.

I would keep the 17s. Because you will be close(surrounded by) the Rio Grande National Forest and the San Juan. Both have lots of fire roads and dirt tracks that would be fun and beautiful to drive through.

If you are into beer, Ska Brewing is in Durango so not too far. At least buy some Modus Hoperandi in cans to take fishing.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

I'd recommend taking some time to drive west towards Durago, and maybe visit Silverton or Ouray. It's a spectacular drive.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM
dsandfort
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this part of Colorado, US 550 is a "Must Drive". It's known as the Million Dollar Highway and tops out on Red Mountain Pass at over 11K. From Pagosa Springs head west on US 160 to Durango (about 60 miles) then North on US 550. On more than one occasion, I've driven the pass, turned around and went back just to do it again.
You will be about 100 miles from Mesa Verde National Park. Well worth a look if you're interested in the ancient real American culture of the area.
Although kind of touristy, you can go another 50 miles and reach four corners. The only spot in the United States where you can place a body part in 4 states simultaneously.
If you are in to Fly Fishing (or want to try), hit the Dolores River in Colorado or head south to the San Juan River in New Mexico near the town of Aztec.
If you want some golf, Pinon Hills in Farmington NM is one of the finest public courses I've ever played.
If you can get tickets on the Durango/Silverton narrow guage railroad, it's spectacular. Similar to the US 550 drive but in an old steam locomotive.
Finally, DON'T FORGET the hot springs in Pagosa Springs.

Don't let the dogs run loose and they will be fine. If you hike, don't leave food in the car.

Have fun.

del

Quick Reply: Austin Tx to Pagoda Springs Co road trip