Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn key no start, turn again and she starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:54 PM
FIREINTHEHOLE
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem for almost 2 years. Finally change out the battery 957 S 2008 just recently.
I took it to a performance shop that has been in business for over 40 years.
The owner heard it and said that sounds like a starter. Replace it been over a month now
she starts Great...
Old 04-17-2017, 09:02 PM
ciscorp
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting

I read this entire thread because my 06 Cayenne S just started doing this. Most interesting, it also just started leaking a little radiator coolant from somewhere above the transmission, in back of the intake manifold near the firewall where you can't see very well unless you remove the manifold. Could be a heater hose leaking. Did the leak cause a problem with some of the electrical connections?

On the first try to start, it will turn the motor over maybe 1 or 2 times then quit, engine does not start. Turn the key completly to the left and try again and the motor sometimes will start right away and other times will turn over 4 or 6 times before starting.

Could the problem also be the Solenoid on the Starter Motor is faulty? A bad Starter Motor will many times draw an excessive amount of current from the battery when engaged.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:37 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ciscorp
I read this entire thread because my 06 Cayenne S just started doing this. Most interesting, it also just started leaking a little radiator coolant from somewhere above the transmission, in back of the intake manifold near the firewall where you can't see very well unless you remove the manifold. Could be a heater hose leaking. Did the leak cause a problem with some of the electrical connections?

On the first try to start, it will turn the motor over maybe 1 or 2 times then quit, engine does not start. Turn the key completly to the left and try again and the motor sometimes will start right away and other times will turn over 4 or 6 times before starting.

Could the problem also be the Solenoid on the Starter Motor is faulty? A bad Starter Motor will many times draw an excessive amount of current from the battery when engaged.
If the pipes have not been done, do them NOW, the dead starter is a symptom of a coolant leak, bathing the starter.

The leak to the back of the transfer case destroys the seal, causing the transfer case to leak, a 3000 dollar repair, back in 2010, more now I assume.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 PM
jprobertson
4th Gear

Question 2nd turn starts always

so i think this is probably a starter but since i have a 2006 S 170k miles. This is a huge job, I want to be absolutely positive it's not anything else!
I need to test the starter relays and ignition switches, battery already load tested.

So, anyone have a diagram where the starter relays are located?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect the person who load tested the battery
Old 05-22-2018, 01:04 AM
jprobertson
4th Gear

Default starter relay location...

I took the battery out of the car and had it tested at Autozone, and a second time to an independent mechanic. They do don't have a diagram of the location of relays. I've searched google and these threads. no luck. I have a guess ones at the battery under the seat and the other is in the fusebox in the engine compartment.
someone's
got to have a diagram ?
Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I had these saymptoms for 9 years. New starter. No more issues.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
I had these saymptoms for 9 years. New starter. No more issues.
happens in my 911 all the time. I have to wait at least 10 seconds before attempting to crank etc. If I do not wait....it starts to crank and dies out (like a dead battery) after the first or second turn of the engine. I have changed both battery and starter in past 8months and it still does this. Leads me to believe that some electric component is just tired and has a lazier time getting energized.

I never owned my car new...so not sure it did it when it was a brand new car.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:51 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

seems like it is always the starter when that exact symptom happens. We have replaced many here in our shop
Old 04-23-2019, 04:19 PM
maxcayenne
Intermediate

An update in case it helps. For me the issue got resolved 99.9% after installing a new starter motor.

The reason I say that is because it's been a about year now and the bog down has been extremely rare, may be just a couple times, other than that it starts up every time on first attempt so I consider the issue resolved for me so far.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was the starter in my case too - unfortunately when my indie fixed my 955 coolant pipes he missed the fact that the starter was full of coolant
Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993BillW
In the rear, under the lid. Where the subwoofer is on those that don't have the 2nd battery.

Yes, I know it's not called a subwoofer but having a brain fart right now.
Take a 10mm socket on an extension and start loosening bolts. The speaker will come out and in my case, reveal a pristine battery underneath. It's 5/8" shorter than the one under the driver's seat, but otherwise identical to it.What it does? Nobody quite knows.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:50 AM
Brooklynn Rich
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
I still suspect the half crank issue to be a starter solenoid issue or actual starter problem.
I had my battery replaced and the half crank issue was still intermittent after the battery change.
So did u solve the problem was it anything to do with starter??
Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklynn Rich
So did u solve the problem was it anything to do with starter??
fixing this on my car was the remedy.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=
Attached Images

Last edited by Turboslut; 06-26-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: adding attachment
Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 AM
JakeSwe
Track Day

Joining the choir and adding another case to the list: my 09 TTS had a case of the "half-crank first, then start at second attempt"-itis. Battery is fresh. As it progressed and sounded more and more painful for the car to start, I got nervous about getting stranded one day. (Plus, it was a bit embarrassing to start the car with people around.)

Got a new starter installed today, and now the beast spins to life like a figure skater mid-pirouette. Love it.

Quick Reply: Turn key no start, turn again and she starts