Sponsored by:

Got rough, CEL went on, then smoothed out- CEL still on, gas cap tight

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rough, CEL went on, then smoothed out- CEL still on, gas cap tight

My wife was driving my 2006 V6 Cayenne this morning. While driving at a low speed, the car got rough engine- wife said it felt like a really rough road. Next, the CEL went on, she pushed gave it more gas to push the performance and then things smoothed out and the car ran fine- the CEL still on. I got in the car shortly thereafter and drove it normally, followed by my pushing the performance- the car ran smooththroughout the range of performance but the CEL is still on. The gas cap was on tight (clicked when turned).
The odometer just turned 42k, but I have yet to change the plugs because I very recently had knee surgery, but the car, until today, has beem running perectly. If it was the spark plugs the performance should have been declining. The car has never run above normal temperature. Early waring on coils? Bad gas? Change the plugs immediately and run it a few days (if it continues to run okay) before bringing it in for diagnosos so the stealer doesn't try and blame it on the spark plugs?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

I'd say bad coils or bad gas. Has it been raining where you are? Sometimes when you have a cracked coil and it rains heavily, moisture can get in through the crack and cause a problem.

Quick Reply: Got rough, CEL went on, then smoothed out- CEL still on, gas cap tight