Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So far annoying bearing sound is gone......

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 PM
nh9095
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So far annoying bearing sound is gone......

Well a few months back I started to notice a slight whining sound after driving for about 10mins in my 2005 Cayenne w/ 55,000 on the clock. Sound would come and go but continued to get worse over time and be more persistent. Read many posts and thought it may be the differential so I had the differential fluid changed. I didn't hear the noise for about three days and then it returned. Went back to local Euro-tech and we did road test together and put it on lift and turned psm off, accellerated over 20mph and he tracked the noise to the driveshaft. Ordered a refurbished driveshaft and had it installed it. Noise has been gone for a week now and car is driving great.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Fabianrou
Advanced

My 04 Cayenne S has had a horrible winding sound for a while now. Took it to the dealer for diagnostics and they said without a shadow of a doubt that it was the differential. I'm not convinced yet so that was the fastest 100 bucks I ever spent. After reading many posts I'm starting to think that it could be just the bearings in it and frankly I'm getting tempted to just take the whole thing apart and put new bearings and 2 new CV axles since they're know for issues for about 250 for both and maybe change a few bushings while the whole thing is apart. Anyhow, now you're saying the the whole time it was your shaft so that just adds to my dilemma :-) I'm curious however why the noise went away after changing the differential fluid if all along the issue was the shaft. I've also seen some people change the shaft bearing for about 75 bucks so lots of variables. How is your car running now?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Ever seen this guy?

Quick Reply: So far annoying bearing sound is gone......