Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Compressor Woes (One in with Spare Tire)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Air Compressor Woes (One in with Spare Tire)

curious if everyone else has the same as me,

i went to use the air compressor today to fill up a tire that was a couple pounds low.

looked just like the one in previous carrera's but when i go to plug it in, the power instead of being a cigarette lighter end (would make sense since we have 4+ cig lighter holes in the Cayenne) it's clips to attach to the car's battery directly.

this would make sense if:

A: the battery was easy to access (can see positive terminal but not negative (unsure if that means to attach to chassis for negative?) tried to remove panels but even after removing all the clips.... you cannot access the negative terminal with ease.

B: the power cable for the compressor reached from battery to rear passenger tire

i assume Porsche maybe didn't want the load of the compressor pulling of the Cig lighters, or maybe it's a beefed up compressor that would blow the fuses... or maybe only to be used in emergencies (spare tire) which you would then have to destroy panels to get to battery.

just doesn't make sense to me... figured what everyone else's take would be prior to having an emergency and realizing your on the side of the road with a compressor thats near impossible to use and demands the owner to rip panels off to use it.

-Riley
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM
BG993
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

In my 2004 CS, there is an access panel in the engine compartment to attach the leads...

Bill
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 AM
teamwenz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same in my 2010 an acess panel under the hood. If you have the air suspension option you have a different fill method and the access point is on a panel under the front passenger seat. If you look in your manual you can determine which method works for your vehicle. Hope this helps. I am way too **** and read the manual from cover to cover
Old 03-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by teamwenz
I am way too **** and read the manual from cover to cover
Not ****. Smart.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:39 PM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was dissapointed not havign OEM compressor.(it did not come with my car)

So, I bought a little Craftman compressor that use cigaratee ligher socket.(less than $20)

Looks like I should feel lucky now :-)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i'll check around but rather have the oem one from carrera!

had to turn my lotus on, connect the compressor to fill the cayenne tires (lotus battery 10000x more accessible)

Quick Reply: Air Compressor Woes (One in with Spare Tire)