Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof failure . . . . . flooding !

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Mirador
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof failure . . . . . flooding !

My sunroof is inoperable.

Porsche has advised me that during heavy rain if the car is parked on a slope the drainage plugs can't cope, and water can find its way into the electrics of the motor ! their theory is that being on a slope the water only has 2 points to drain not 4.

I find this explanation extraordinary . . . I mean it's a 4WD, not an open-top racer what happens in the tropics ??

Anyone else had this problem ? seems like a design flaw to me that could end up costing $USD1,300 Apparently, they've also had a few cabriolet's recently present with the same problem.

I've got the V6 MY08
Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, the 4 corner drains located at each corner of the sunroof trough or drain pan are meant to carry off the overflow water that has seeped through the sunroof seal. They were by no means designed to operate as a rainwater catch basin or storm sewer system. Check the rubber seal that surrounds the sunroof panel where it mates with the body roof cavity. If there are areas where the seal's integrity may have been compromised, you'll have to replace the entire seal and/or adjust the parking position of the sunroof panel in order to create a proper perimeter seal.

Second, the four flexible drain lines are routed through each side (L & R) of the A & B pillars and then out thru the chassis (rubber chassis grommet) onto the street. I would check underneath where the drain lines exit the chassis for foreign matter (undercoating, kinking, etc...) and then run some un-pressured water thru each of the drains to see how quickly the water is drained. Be very careful about using an air hose or any type of pressure to unblock a sunroof drain as this may inadevrtently cause a hose to unclip itself from a spigot which, may take you many hours to repair afterwards.

Incidentally, in case you were unaware there is a manual crank tool located underneath your armrest console that can be used to manually open & close your sunroof.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Mirador
8th Gear

Default Thanks Andy !

I'm all thumbs so will leave this to the experts - Porsche advise me they will run through all those checks. Very much appreciate your response.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

100 to 1 odds it's just a clogged drain tube.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Cayenne:-(
3rd Gear

Exclamation Cayenne Sunroof Leaking

Is this a joke - I rarely use the sunroof - I live in a Condo and park underground - I do not drive the vehicle that often...

I am told I have a leak in the sunroof - or plugged drains that lead the water to the electrical panel??

After SEVERAL service fiasco's - cooling pipes, etc... and other engineering "stupidities" - I would grade this as the worst engineered vehicle from Porsche - they should be embarrassed -

$2,500 to correct this joke - that is not a dealer price - I would be shocked if dealer was not 2x as much -

I understand this can be claimed on Insurance -
HOWEVER - I AM TOLD THIS WILL BE "A WATER DAMAGE VEHICLE" AND WILL REFLECT SO ON THE TITLE?

I can only repeat - what a joke - the "PORSCHE CAYENNE" -

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUY THIS VEHICLE NOR ANY OTHER SUV FROM PORSCHE -
THEY HAVE A LOT TO PROVE IN THIS CATEGORY.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:10 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you need a hug? I repeat - DO. YOU. NEED. A. HUG?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear

Default Plugged drainage...

I repeat - poor engineering on many levels...
I say do not buy SUV from Porsche -

I LOVE MY 911 4S and this is why I purchased the Cayenne -

Mistake was to purchase the Cayenne...
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you think this is Porsche's worst design, you haven't been around Porsches long!

Go talking to 9x6 owners about IMSBs. Talk to 996 TT and GT3 owners about coolant pipes. Talk to 991 GT3 owners about how long they couldn't drive their cars due to a significant risk of engine fire. Talk to any Porsche owner about cylinder scoring. 955 V8 owners about coolant pipes.

This barely rates as an annoyance in the grand scheme of stupid Porsche designs.

Sunroof drain problems are common across all makes and models. As previously stated, the seals dry out and let more water in than they were meant to cope with.

You want to talk drain problems, try a BMW where the front hoses aren't connected to anything. They just dump out inside the A-Pillars and count on the body drains. Great until those get clogged with road debris and the water backs up and seeps into the control until a that are also in the A-Pillars.

Doesn't matter what car you have. Check and clean ALL your drains regularly.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:45 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a pano roof, only time it ever leaked was in a car wash with high pressure. I opened it up and then closed it again and it hasn't leaked since. I agree with clogged drain. Any slope will be fine, unless actual sunroof seal is bad, or drained are clogged significantly. Best of luck!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

Default SURPRISING UPDATE

WELL FELLOWS....

You are going to be a little surprised -

My electrical issues began when wife was driving Cayenne -
It was almost 5 pm - I sent her to "TuneRS Motorsports"
They are very good people... She arrived just after they closed - they waited for her... I was already dark out - they took a quick glance and determined the water leakage. - It was in fact wet - in the rear passenger side interior - tail light area... It was very wet...

NOW the real story.... I took the car home - checked the drains - a learning curve for sure... But was able to locate the drains in the rear of the car - actually very easy to see from under the car. NO tools required... I open up the rear area - low and behold the drains were fine... clear

However, apparently there was a gallon of "Porsche Antifreeze" on the well compartment - that "plastic" container leaked - this is the wetness...

What a pain this has turned into - self induced pain...
I have pulled the tire the Bose Subwoofer has absorbed it -
Now in the process of degreasing...

Problem - Since this took place, the tail light will not shut off - not matter what... I found the battery "ground" quick disconnect - this cures all!

I understand there may be a module that has been compromised?
It has dried out considerably now... (I live in South Florida)

Will go back at it today -
Old 12-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a German car thing....

Quick Reply: Sunroof failure . . . . . flooding !