Sponsored by:

Survey from Porsche - Auto on/off function

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Travelingman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey from Porsche - Auto on/off function

I just received an e-mail from Porsche asking if I wanted to complete a survey regarding my 2011 Cayenne S. I went through it, it asked specific questions about the auto on/off engine function. It looks like Porsche is interested in whether owners are using it and if there are any issues or likes/dislikes with the function.
I have a 70 mile daily commute, most of it freeway, and I don't bother with the on/off button until I get into downtown San Antonio. I can't make up my mind if I really like it or not. I did get a chuckle out of one of the questions, if the on/off function should be available during "sport mode". I suspect most owners don't bother to activate it at all.
Thanks for all the good info on this forum, I look at it regularly.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Since I've had my CS I think i've only turned it on once or twice. I did notice that I got a tad better fuel consumption though from the reading on the PCM when it was on. Though Porsche said they beefed up the starter to accommodate for the auto on/off, it still doesn't feel right to me.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
InHocSigno
Cruisin'

It's a Porsche, not a Prius! There is no need for the On/Off function.
I used it once and hated it.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

did not get survey yet, tried to use the on/off but i hate how it kicks on too fast (stop sign)... and when it's in use i am often getting green lights soon after and it feels like a waste...

that being said i leave it on, and then use sport button to cancel it and have better driving experience....

i have always been a person to leave car running rather than on/off (fixing car, cleaning car, so forth) so it going on and off so often worries me about starter and alternator... mostly the starter.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the hybrid, there is no on/off button, although putting the car is sports mode prevents the engine from turning off. the restarting experience is much better in the hybrid because the batteries power the car during the second that it takes to get the engine back on, so the transition is seamless.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelingman
I suspect most owners don't bother to activate it at all.
I've kept it off since day 1. Haven't gotten the survey yet.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
bkcarrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was afraid no energy policy big brother would require it to be on all of the time.
I tried it once - that was enough.
If you think about the energy required to make batteries and starters (which you will be replacing) - pretty bad pay back. Reminds me of the ethanol scam - and I'm from a corn state.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Preeble
In the hybrid, there is no on/off button, although putting the car is sports mode prevents the engine from turning off. the restarting experience is much better in the hybrid because the batteries power the car during the second that it takes to get the engine back on, so the transition is seamless.
IMO the restart isnt major at all in my model. as soon as foot off brake it puts the car into "hold" mode and starts car before i can get to the gas.. only downside is sometimes foot is too fast to the pedal and you start off with a leap.... if i have radio and AC on i cant even tell the car is off/on.. just the rev's drop and im like "oh it's off"
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

What on off button?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
What on off button?
+1. Tried it once, didn't care for it. Won't use it again.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Nemic
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't got mine yet, but it will be interesting to see if I use it.
During the test drives I noticed that when the engine is turned off the power steering goes off as well.

This makes it tricky to do any wheel adjusting whilst stationary - which I did not like at all.

Time will tell though, just need to get my car first - hopefully May/June :-)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Several months ago the local dealer lent me a 2011 Cayenne S for several days to evaluate for an article. I was unaware of the on/off feature so i commented when I returned it that it had a slight hesitation then jolt when starting from a stop light. The service manager explained about on/off. you can guess it was disabled during delivery and will remain off. Next thing there will be a TSB on starters failing early and the corrective action after installing a new starter will be to disable on/off.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it has its place for about town driving with lots of stops at lights. However, for stop and go traffic on the expressway, it's a total hassle since there is that lag. I 'manually' turn on the auto-start feature when I think I'll need it. Is it worth whatever its cost in engineering and installation? Probably not.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

I use it unless I am in traffic, at which point it's a pain in the ***. I do notice better gas mileage with it active. That said, I don't feel strongly about the feature either way.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I like it and use it daily on my TT

Quick Reply: Survey from Porsche - Auto on/off function