Slight shake/rumble at cold start idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mtonks
Hi I'm new to this forum,

I was googling this issue as I'm currently having the same problem with my 2005 Cayenne 3.2 V6 (48500 miles)

When starting the car from cold I too feel the rough running and the rev counter moving from 0.5 to 0.9 and a slight rumble from the engine. When driving off the car sets off in 1st gear also instead of 2nd like normal.

Did anyone ever find a problem with this or is it genuinely the way the vehicle starts up in the cold!?

Cheers

Mike
A while back we had the shop foreman check it out. They said it was normal. I just manually shift it up to 2 to avoid the whole engine reving up in 1st.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Cayenne Plat
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Platinum edition cold start problem

Hello,

Just picked up my cayenne platinum edition from dealer a month back. Only 3000km on it. The car make strange bang noise from engine compartment when started in cold weather. This only happens when the car is cold and only for initial 10-15 seconds, after that no problem at all. the noise is very loud as if something exploding inside the engine. the reeves start to drop from 1100 to 700 and then go back to 1100 until the car warms up? Took it to the dealer and he couldn't find any issues. Any ideas? you can see and hear the engine in the attached link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnc6ad13bs..._0383.MOV?dl=0
Old 11-28-2014, 12:13 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Mine does it at warm idle. I would simply call it a rough idle. Engines with more aggressive cam profiles have always had a bit more of a rough idle. They used to call it a lopey or lumpy idle. It does not interfere with daily driving and in fact provides more power on demand at higher rpm, so why the concern? I happen to like it and think that is one of the bennies of the GTS, vis a vis the S. What's not to like!!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:35 AM
Cayenne Plat
6th Gear

The major concern is very loud banging noise from the engine, it seem as if some one is literally hammering the engine from inside and it would crack open. Also the as soon as the engine starts to knock the engine starts to loose power and revs drop. This only happens for may be 10 seconds and then engine gets stable again. but these 10 seconds are enough to scare one. it literally feels like the engine is about to explode. You an hear the banginng/knocking 0:20 to 0:28 min
You can also hear the engine start to loose power.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:34 AM
barrios35
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cayenne Plat
The major concern is very loud banging noise from the engine, it seem as if some one is literally hammering the engine from inside and it would crack open. Also the as soon as the engine starts to knock the engine starts to loose power and revs drop. This only happens for may be 10 seconds and then engine gets stable again. but these 10 seconds are enough to scare one. it literally feels like the engine is about to explode. You an hear the banginng/knocking 0:20 to 0:28 min
You can also hear the engine start to loose power.

I don't have an S so maybe others with can chime it. The base has a rough idle but does not sound like that and it is only on cold start ups.

I am no expert but can you narrow the sound to location in the engine bay? Sounds like things shifting like an ABS cylinder or something like that?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Cayenne Plat
6th Gear

Sound is from the right side of the engine, and the sound is in idle position right after starting the car for the first time in cold after sitting there for 16-20 hours. The revs also drop(600-700rpms) immediately as the knocking starts and get stable back at 1100rpm once knocking goes away to continue warming up the car.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Lester Marfil
1st Gear

I have the same issue with my 2014 cayenne base...only has 28000 miles...on cold start makes almost a rumbling, rough idling or misfiring sound at cold start.. kinda like vacuum leak sound. Anyone has a specific experience like this with a specific solution done by the dealer. I am brining my car to the dealer still under factory warranty but I don't want the dealer to tell me everything is ok with that sound..if I knew the specific cause at least I can suggest for them what to check on
Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 AM
barrios35
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lester Marfil
I have the same issue with my 2014 cayenne base...only has 28000 miles...on cold start makes almost a rumbling, rough idling or misfiring sound at cold start.. kinda like vacuum leak sound. Anyone has a specific experience like this with a specific solution done by the dealer. I am brining my car to the dealer still under factory warranty but I don't want the dealer to tell me everything is ok with that sound..if I knew the specific cause at least I can suggest for them what to check on
They never pin pointed anything out. They stated it was normal for the base as it warms up the catalytic convertors. I have talked to a few owners of MB and other German cars and some stated that they also experience it. Can't recall which models right now.

It does sound bad like something is misfiring. I still own the Cayenne and can say that nothing it still is reliable and nothing has come about the cold starts.

Let us know what they say for your year. ..

Quick Reply: Slight shake/rumble at cold start idle