Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about adding an aftermarket reversing camera... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:58 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Thinking about adding an aftermarket reversing camera... thoughts?

One of the options I wished I ordered on my '11 V6 is the reversing camera. After having it on my previous car for 2 years, I grew accustomed to using it. Initially, I really missed it on the Pepper, but now after 7 or so weeks, I'm OK without it.

That said, I recently discovered Nav-TV makes an aftermarket solution that appears to work just like the OEM version. I spoke to the Nav-TV folks and they recommended a local dealer. The price is reasonable, however, I'm a little weary about having someone get behind the PCM for the install, fearing potential warranty issues. I haven't had any aftermarket work done on any of my cars in 15+ years, so I just wanted to get some of your thoughts. It doesn't seem like an overly complicated job, but again, don't want to run into any possible electronic issues down the road or getting denied of any warranty claims should something come up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Beuller?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I have no real evidence to back up my opinion so this is totally a gut reaction, but if it were me, I wouldn't want anyone messing around behind the dash of my new Cayenne. I'd personally pass on the camera, FWIW.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've also spoken with the Nav-TV folks about installing one on my GTS. To date, it seems like the only logical choice in back-up camera systems. I was about to pull the trigger on one until I read on the 911 forum something about error messages appearing on the screen and incompatibility issues that require unplugging the NAV-TV module whenever servicing the vehicle. Not my cup of tea. And with the Cayenne being infamous with electrical issues, I refrained from doing the mod.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Leaning towards passing as well...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 AM
rkanok
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed the Nav-Tv unit in my '09 GTS, I am using it with the ebay 'special' plate light/camera CCD version and so far love it, the image is perfect. The instructions were not complete but close enough. It might just have been the extra wires from the bose system.

Running the wire was not difficult from front to back however I spent about 3 hours getting from the rear corner to the hatch routing with the factory wires.

All in all I am a happy with the package and do agree its the only way to go.

Robert
Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkanok
I recently installed the Nav-Tv unit in my '09 GTS, I am using it with the ebay 'special' plate light/camera CCD version and so far love it, the image is perfect. The instructions were not complete but close enough. It might just have been the extra wires from the bose system.

Running the wire was not difficult from front to back however I spent about 3 hours getting from the rear corner to the hatch routing with the factory wires.

All in all I am a happy with the package and do agree its the only way to go.

Robert
Do you have any pictures or further instructions? The navtv website doesn't make it sound too hard...but to your point of the instructions were not "complete"?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
rkanok
Track Day

Unfortunately no pictures, as for the instructions form navtv they did not include the wire running, but my previous post was referring to the moving the fiber optic and an additional set of wires (assuming bose) from the factory clip to the navtv adapter.

As for running the wire I already had the kick panel removed per navtv, so I just ran the wires (switch power, gnd, rca) to passenger side door sill, I did not have to remove the doorsill just pushed the wire under, it only bulged a little by the front seatbelt.

This worked all the way to the rear, where I used a small wooden dowel to get from there to the rear qtr. Then the same dowel to go from rear qtr to rear roof. This all took <1 hour.

The next 3 hours were disassembling the roof (which you can find instructions to in the navtv rear hatch closer install)

The hatch I was on my on, mostly just pull off the plastic trim slowly and carefully.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkanok
Unfortunately no pictures, as for the instructions form navtv they did not include the wire running, but my previous post was referring to the moving the fiber optic and an additional set of wires (assuming bose) from the factory clip to the navtv adapter.

As for running the wire I already had the kick panel removed per navtv, so I just ran the wires (switch power, gnd, rca) to passenger side door sill, I did not have to remove the doorsill just pushed the wire under, it only bulged a little by the front seatbelt.

This worked all the way to the rear, where I used a small wooden dowel to get from there to the rear qtr. Then the same dowel to go from rear qtr to rear roof. This all took <1 hour.

The next 3 hours were disassembling the roof (which you can find instructions to in the navtv rear hatch closer install)

The hatch I was on my on, mostly just pull off the plastic trim slowly and carefully.
Was the installation to the PCM straightforward (looks like 4 spliced wires and one plug) like the instructions show? I previously didn't consider backup cam bc it seemed the only options available included taking the PCM apart. Doesn't look so anymore?

Yeah, I know what you mean about the roof liner. Took that all apart for the hitch electronics; real bitch.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 PM
rkanok
Track Day

For the PCM 3 it was no wires spliced into the factory harness and only 2 wires soldiered +/- for the camera from the provide harness. This assumes you are not using the provided video switcher for a front camera, which would add 2 more soldiered connections.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 2005 CTT with PCM 2.1 so it may be different ... but I have a nav-tv unit with an Alpine camera. Picture quality is perfect .. even at night or in the sun ... more than I can say for my wifes Acura MDX. I highly reccoment the upgrade. I have kids so wanted the camera.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the additional thoughts. I spoke with the service manager at the local Porsche dealership, he did have good things to say about the install company and mentioned he does recommend them for this type of work, however, he also indicated that if something went wrong with the electrical that I would have to take back to them to check it out first. Doesn't sound like a good idea considering my Cayenne is brand new. Probably still going to pass for now.

Quick Reply: Thinking about adding an aftermarket reversing camera... thoughts?