Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster question

so, this is a weird question, but Im sure that Im not the first to notice...... there appears to be a chemical film on the instrument gauge cluster of the cayenne....its a purplish tint that i assume reduces glare...does anyone know what this is called, or about the process to produce it....its also found on some watches and sunglasses, and can get messed up if you touch it or smear it....curious about restoring this and applying it to other instrument gauges...
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by delisedesign
so, this is a weird question, but Im sure that Im not the first to notice...... there appears to be a chemical film on the instrument gauge cluster of the cayenne....its a purplish tint that i assume reduces glare...does anyone know what this is called, or about the process to produce it....its also found on some watches and sunglasses, and can get messed up if you touch it or smear it....curious about restoring this and applying it to other instrument gauges...
It is an optical coating. The coating does show elements like skin oil very easily, but it can be cleaned easily and perfectly with any lens cleaner or sunglasses cleaner and a lens cloth or clean microfiber towel.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

it's called AR, "anti reflective" coating... it's deposited like PVD, (physical vapor deposition). so you cant "Recoat" the item.. if it comes off in a place the best best is a paste toothpaste and rub around and remove the rest... should be not abrasive enough to score the clear.. or just replace at dealer..
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

ha did some research on this AR process....i dont think ill find anyone who would let me borrow their 200k dollar machine just so i could coat some parts...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
delisedesign
Instructor

thanks for the responses by the way....its interesting technology, ive also seen it on bentley instrument panels...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

My glass has some "funk" like haze on the inside of the glass (like it wasnt cleaned when it was assembled) its only noticeble when the sun shines on it at an angle but drives me nuts. How hard would it be to take the instruments out and clean the glass on the inside???

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster question