Sponsored by:

The power of the PPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The power of the PPI

I had a PPI completed today on a 2 owner 70k miles 04' S and it went down in flames. What appeared to be a clean vehicle on my inspection and I'm no virgin this would be my 14th Porsche in the last 30 years.

The PPI showed leaking coolant pipes, a poor undisclosed accident repair on the RR door that was starting to rust big time on the inside edge (I'm not sure how I missed that one, dazzled by the spectacular Titanium paintwork no doubt!) and multiple other minor faults that would add up to big $$$.

I had negotiated a purchase price of $18k, based on the fact that it obviously needed brakes, tires and a minor maintenance/oil change. It seemed like a bargin!

I handed back the keys to the owner and said, "thanks but no thanks!"

However many thanks to Steinel's Autowerks, Twinsburg, OH for the PPI. The best $160 I ever spent.

Next.

JF

Last edited by 993PET; 03-09-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i love PPI's, so detailed and very affordable in my experience ($250)

$160 is a steal to see that the deal wasn't ideal. (no rhyme intended)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

And in the "bink of an eye" it's back on fleebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item3cb5e94326
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 993PET
.....I'm no virgin this would be my 14th Porsche in the last 30 years.
Only these trucks are not Porsches but rather modified VDubs.
Aside from the drivetrain and other select components which are mounted in Leipzig,Germany, the vehicle is mostly built in VW's assembly plant in the province of Bratislava, Slovakia (former Czechoslovakia) . I used to consider myself somewhat a veteran as well; up until I took possession of my Cayenne...

Originally Posted by 993PET
I had negotiated a purchase price of $18k, based on the fact that it obviously needed brakes, tires and a minor maintenance/oil change. It seemed like a bargain!
J.F., at $18K you were getting what you paid for; aside of course the unknown accident and re-paint. 2004 Cayenne S models are selling for roughly $24 to $26K depending upon mileage. Even if the coolant tubes did need replacement as well as new brakes/tires (maintenance items), I believe that you still would have remained ahead of the game.

Unfortunately, the owner's reluctance to admit to the accident pretty much sums up the lost trust in a prospective sale; provided of course that the 2nd owner actually knew about the body repairs.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

Yeah, it does sound like the price was pretty good. Based on the eBay listing, it looks like a nice, clean Cayenne. (Boring color, though...) What sort of big dollar 'minor faults' did you find?

I guess it depends on what you're willing to put up with and pay. I got a great deal on mine, but I've already had the brakes done and there are several cosmetic items in the interior (one of the rear seat vents is broken, the cargo area carpet looks like it has mange, there's a small tear in the center console armrest, etc.). But, this is a daily driver for a family with two young girls and a dog; a couple of blemishes don't (in my eyes) detract from the vehicle. But they would be ridiculously expensive to fix! (Check eBay for the price on a center console, it's crazy!)

Good luck with yoru search.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Only these trucks are not Porsches but rather modified VDubs.
Aside from the drivetrain and other select components which are mounted in Leipzig,Germany, the vehicle is mostly built in VW's assembly plant in the province of Bratislava, Slovakia (former Czechoslovakia) . I used to consider myself somewhat a veteran as well; up until I took possession of my Cayenne...:
Tired old argument.

Cause Porsche is the true definition of insanity. "Building the same car over and over and over agian and expecting a different result" The REALITY is that Porsche would be dead and long gone if it were not for VW.

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s"

....calls VW...."HELP!"

.....Builds 914.....MAKES MONEY

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s"

....calls VW...."HELP!"

....Builds 924.....MAKES MONEY

....Builds 928....MAKES MONEY!

...Redesigns 924 into 944.....MAKES MONEY...

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s."

Blends 914 idea with 911 to come up with Boxter.....Makes money

Porsche "Gee...our company is going out of business because we can't sell enough of these 911s."

Calls VW...."Help"

Comes out with Cayenne. (Which according to the literature is more Porsche than VW. I tend to believe that more than you unless you can come up with some sort of documentation). MAKES MONEY!!!!

....and that silly 911 is still just a VW from day 1 so who cares
Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Tired old argument....
- Except that the 928 was born in Weissach and entirely built in Zuffenhausen w/o any VW involvement whatsoever

- Except that the 914 was a joint venture between VW & Porsche where Porsche entirely engineered the vehicle using common VW and Porsche components

- Except that the 924 was entirely engineered by Porsche and sold to VW as it was originally destined to be a VW sports car up until VW changed their minds and Porsche bought back the design, and subsequently produced the low cost vehicle using many common VW components

- Except that the 944 was a derivative of the 924 that was also entirely engineered by Porsche and built by Audi at their Neckarsulm assembly plant. By this time, many of the VW components were replaced with Porsche components (M.Y. dependant)

- Except that the Cayenne was a joint engineering and mfg venture between VW & PAG from Day One. This meant shared components as well as shared know-how. The only sole reason that our vehicles sport a "Made in Germany" label is chiefly due to the engine/drivetrain/suspension components which of most, are mfd in Zuffenhausen and shipped to the low cost labored Leipzig facility for assembly. Otherwise, the Slovakians that brought us Skoda put our high-class trucks together. (Not that there's anything wrong with that..)

- Except that had it not been for the efforts of Ferdinand Porsche who was commissioned by Adolf Hitler back in the '30's, there would not have been a VW to talk about today.

We can talk about this for hours and discuss the chicken & the egg theory if you'd like. Fact is that both companies have ultimately benefited from each other over the years. Claiming that Porsche begged VW for help is, IMHO, hugely overrated.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- Except that the 928 was born in Weissach and entirely built in Zuffenhausen w/o any VW involvement whatsoever
I never said VW was involved.

-

- Except that ... joint venture between VW & Porsche ...using common VW and Porsche components

- Except that ... produced the low cost vehicle using many common VW components

- Except ....many of the VW components were replaced with Porsche components (M.Y. dependant)

- Except that the Cayenne was a joint engineering and mfg venture between VW & PAG...

- Except that had it not been for the efforts of Ferdinand Porsche who was commissioned by Adolf Hitler back in the '30's, there would not have been a VW to talk about today. MY POINT EXACTLY!! BOTH COMPANIES SPAWNED FROM THE SAME FAMILY

It sounds to tired and snobish when people act like *certain* Porsches are not *Porsches* because they have ties to those bastard VW genes.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

- Except that the 914 was a joint venture between VW & Porsche where Porsche entirely engineered the vehicle using common VW and Porsche components

- Except that the 924 was entirely engineered by Porsche and sold to VW as it was originally destined to be a VW sports car up until VW changed their minds and Porsche bought back the design, and subsequently produced the low cost vehicle using many common VW components

- Except that the 944 was a derivative of the 924 that was also entirely engineered by Porsche and built by Audi at their Neckarsulm assembly plant. By this time, many of the VW components were replaced with Porsche components (M.Y. dependant)

- Except that the Cayenne was a joint engineering and mfg venture between VW & PAG from Day One. This meant shared components as well as shared know-how. The only sole reason that our vehicles sport a "Made in Germany" label is chiefly due to the engine/drivetrain/suspension components which of most, are mfd in Zuffenhausen and shipped to the low cost labored Leipzig facility for assembly. Otherwise, the Slovakians that brought us Skoda put our high-class trucks together. (Not that there's anything wrong with that..)

- Except that had it not been for the efforts of Ferdinand Porsche who was commissioned by Adolf Hitler back in the '30's, there would not have been a VW to talk about today.

We can talk about this for hours and discuss the chicken & the egg theory if you'd like. Fact is that both companies have ultimately benefited from each other over the years. Claiming that Porsche begged VW for help is, IMHO, hugely overrated.
Well stated. You forgot the 968 however.

However, may I remind you of the timeless law of the P!g Pen ...

And the derivative:
Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
It sounds to tired and snobish when people act like *certain* Porsches are not *Porsches* because they have ties to those bastard VW genes.
LOL ! I assume you are referring to the old air cooled and/or 911 gents. I guess with PAG now ordering coolant like never before, that debate was finally put to rest.

Originally Posted by ltc
Well stated. You forgot the 968 however.
Oh, you mean the now rare and overpriced, 944-masked-with-polyurethane-bumpers-hard to get parts for- 1/2 a V-8-Neckarsulm built-928/993 wannabe?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

In case anyone's interested, I didn't buy the 04' S because of the undisclosed accident damage which is proceeding to rust through the RR door. Steinel's told me they had never seen a rusty Ceyanne before unless it had received a sub standard accident repair. I would have negotiated the coolant pipes since my accepted offer of $18k was based on tires, brakes and an oil change. The seller was clueless about the vehicle, buyer beware and carfax showed no accidents so don't rely on that report to be full proof.

Regarding the whole Touareg/Cayenne debate, I owned a late 04' Touareg V6 from new until last month when it was killed by a tree in an ice storm, hence the need for new wheels. I put 130k miles on it in 7 years as my daily driver, I even towed my RS America Race Car with it when I had an open Trailex Aluminum Trailer and all in all it was a very reliable trouble free vehicle. Driving the POS 04' S that I almost bought yesterday was my first experience of the Cayenne. Apart from the obvious V6/V8 it drove very differently from the Touareg. I was impressed and would just like to find a decent one at a fair price that dosen't need $5k dumping in it immediately.

JF

Last edited by 993PET; 03-10-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people would not consider a door being dented and repaired "an accident" -- my neighbor had a tree fall on his car and he never called it an accident --- even though the fender, glass and trunk was replaced ??

Just wonder what was rusting -- the door skin?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Some people would not consider a door being dented and repaired "an accident" -- my neighbor had a tree fall on his car and he never called it an accident --- even though the fender, glass and trunk was replaced ??

Just wonder what was rusting -- the door skin?
I agree with you "accident" is a subjective term! I was just trying to point out the RR of the vehicle had suffered some trauma at some point. How it was caused? Who knows?

Serveral large rust bubbles bigger than a quarter coin in size were present on the inside aft edge of the door where it is shaped around the wheel arch. Also I forgot to mention previously the rear door did not line up with the front door at the top edge at the center post. Suggesting trauma to the right side of the vehicle.

JF
Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 455 Posts

Sounds like maybe the door was wrenched. Maybe a rear-seat passenger opened it into traffic, or it was backed into something stationary..?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not trying to minimize your concern with the car or discount your concern with the the damage.

Some view any little paint work as a huge problem and others say -- well its fixed.

Quick Reply: The power of the PPI