Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" tire longevity

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

21" P Zero Rossos on the '09 GTS 35k km.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Towing my race car behind my GTS with michelins on 21s cost me a set of rears in less than 6000 miles. I now run yokohama All season 18s when I am towing - the tires cost half as much and seem to last three times longer. Last month they did a 9000 mile trip from Texas to New Foundland and back and barely show any wear.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill P.
Along the same lines, can the tires be safely replaced by a good independent? My salesman indicated that due to the high tech sensors attached to the wheel that it would be best handled by the dealer. That just doesn’t sound right....
Total nonsense Bill. No offense to your salesman but he was either ignorant or misinformed.

Most good tire shops today can readily replace TPMS equipped tires as well, if not better, than the dealer.

We're lucky here in S. CA because we have a ton of options.

When I replaced the rear Michelin's on my 997S, I relied on Hergeshiemer (a PCA sponsor). Their prices were very similar to Tire Rack (after delivery, etc.) so they were A LOT chepaper than the dealer and they know their way around P cars as well if not better than the dealer.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^

+1, especially re: total nonsense. I can't even remember the last time a dealer had anything to do with my tires.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:49 AM
TurboLove
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my front left 21" Michelin latitude blow out today on my 08 CTT. Question: the tire shop advised that I should change the other front tire as well. In fact, they almost went as far to suggest replacing the rears but saw that they still had 7/32s of tread left. The fronts are pretty much toast- 19K miles. The fact that the turbo is AWD is why I should replace opposite tire (or all tires). Can someone confirm this? Also, can I rotate the rears to the front on this pig?advice is appreciated.

Last comment, I would never let any dealer touch my tires. They don't know and do tires.....tire shops do!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLove
I had my front left 21" Michelin latitude blow out today on my 08 CTT. Question: the tire shop advised that I should change the other front tire as well. In fact, they almost went as far to suggest replacing the rears but saw that they still had 7/32s of tread left. The fronts are pretty much toast- 19K miles. The fact that the turbo is AWD is why I should replace opposite tire (or all tires). Can someone confirm this? Also, can I rotate the rears to the front on this pig?advice is appreciated.

Last comment, I would never let any dealer touch my tires. They don't know and do tires.....tire shops do!
Please see below extract from the owners manual.

"Tires should be replaced no less than on one axle
at the time.
Only tires of the same make and type
must be used. Mixed tires are not permissible and
will affect vehicle performance, safety, and can
affect vehicle warranty.

Tires must always remain on the same side of
the vehicle.

When wheels are removed, the direction of rotation
and position of each wheel should be marked.
If new tires are installed only on one axle, a noticeable
change in handling occurs due to the different
tread depth of the other tires. This happens especially
if only rear tires are replaced. However, this
condition disappears as the new tires are broken in.
"

so no problem swapping front to rear as long as you kep the tyres on the same side of the vehicle.

The only thing you have to be careful of when using a tyre shop for tyre replacement, make sure they know how to switch off the air suspension.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

I just removed the 20" Contenintal Extreme Contact DWS tires from our P!G for the winter. They are shot, but I got about 33K miles out of them. I'm pretty pleased with that. I'll be ordering another set.

Quick Reply: 21" tire longevity