Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM
celinelust
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control

How do you turn the "ADAPTIVE" part off?
I only want to use normal Cruise Control.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

I just read through my PDF copy of the manual. I don't think it's possible to use ACC as a regular CC. If cruise is active, so is the adaptive feature.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 AM
celinelust
5th Gear

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :'(
Thank you. If someone figures out a workaround please do tell
Old 02-24-2011, 11:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would imagine that it can be 'removed' via PIWIS, but I'm not sure a dealer would be willing to do it.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
celinelust
5th Gear

But it is a ..... excuse me ... VERY STUPID move on Porsche's side. It could easily lead to accidents due to abrupt braking in tight traffic conditions, aside from annoyances of course.
I hate it when OEMs force themselves on drivers. Intrusive features just take out the fun and freedom from driving, and could lead to more dangerous situations.
Had I known that I can't turn it off I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Are you waiting for me to defend Porsche and the Cayenne ?

"!"
Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

I am just curious if any brands that offer adaptive CC allow you to use it in a traditional way. I don't have ACC on my Cayenne, and after experiencing it on the autobahn in a BMW, I wish I had it. The old-style CC bugs me.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If ACC bothers you, I can't imagine the reaction when you discover exactly how much information is recorded/stored in 'the black box' ...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by celinelust
But it is a ..... excuse me ... VERY STUPID move on Porsche's side. It could easily lead to accidents due to abrupt braking in tight traffic conditions, aside from annoyances of course.
I hate it when OEMs force themselves on drivers. Intrusive features just take out the fun and freedom from driving, and could lead to more dangerous situations.
Had I known that I can't turn it off I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a liability issue that caused Porsche to design ACC the way they did. Imagine someone has their ACC in regular CC mode and forgets that they turned off the adaptive feature or maybe worse, has turned it off by mistake. When they ram into the back of the car ahead of them because they thought ACC was going to reduce speed for them, they blame Porsche for not designing the system to be more failsafe, or warn them better that the adaptive function was disabled, or whatever. Just sayin.....
Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
If ACC bothers you, I can't imagine the reaction when you discover exactly how much information is recorded/stored in 'the black box' ...
Is there by chance a flatulence counter? The whole black box thing is taking things in the wrong direction IMHO.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

ACC doesn't brake abruptly unless you change lanes and a slower car in front of you is well within the distance setting. Even then, I wouldn't say it is abrupt.

If you don't like the way ACC feels in traffic, don't use it. Traditional cruise control can be a handful in traffic when it doesn't brake
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

May I ask if there is a way you could get the braking from ACC tuned down somehow? I feel like sometimes it will break to hard, other times it is ok. Like say if someone is breaking a little (and say they are between 3-6 car lengths away), the ACC will break almost 50% or more from what I feel and it jerks everyone in the car unless I turn it off as soon as I see the break lights come on. Also, if someone pulls out of somewhere and I am at least 3-4 car lengths away, and that person speeds off pretty well, the ACC breaks hard as well and waits a while to speed back up. I think breaking normally would be good, but breaking hard to where it is neck snapping almost is a little too much in my opinion. I sometimes use it in Newberry where the speed limit is 25, 30, or 35 on some roads and cops will pull people over for even going 1 mph over (some cop even pulled some old lady over for going 1 mile over in a 25 and she apparently got a pretty bad tickets, cops get bored and at the end of the month need to fill their quota and are bored). I like where it won't try to break for a traffic light though where the jag xkr ACC did sometimes. Adaptive cruise control is pretty good in the Cayenne, and if they tuned some of the heavy breaking it does where it isn't needed down a bit, or at least made it break like an average person would (not to hard, not to quick, and only stomping force WHEN needed), it would be great in my opinion. I could be wrong in y'alls opinion, but in mine and my two best friends opinions, it could be tuned down a little. Overall, great system, still needs a little work though.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 AM
celinelust
5th Gear

I have experienced the same results as Alichtenberg. Thats mainly why I want to turn it off. Some places people just tend to vary in their speeds only a little bit but then they go back to their older speeds which causes the Cayenne to uncomfortably break and delay in accelerating which sometimes ticks people driving behind you if it happend repeatedly.
I am thinking of covering the Radar with a tinfoil, it should disable the Adaptive cruise control, but I wonder if it will let the normal CC on!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by celinelust
I am thinking of covering the Radar with a tinfoil, it should disable the Adaptive cruise control, but I wonder if it will let the normal CC on!
My guess is no......
Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you cover the radar sensor in the grill you will get a ACC fault. I encountered this when I had my front plate temporarily covering the sensor for inspection.

For people who feel it brakes too abruptly, are you adjusting your distance settings according to the traffic you are driving in? If there is moderate traffic I set it to brake with the smallest gap.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control