Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Purchase of a Cayenne - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
la crosse
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Purchase of a Cayenne - HELP!

I am looking into purchasing a used Cayenne. I currently own a 1991 964 and a 2000 BMW M5. I would trade in my M5 for the Cayenne. I've gotten stuck in the snow for the last time!

My questin is: What model should I be looking at? Does the V6 have enough power?

With my 964 I have a lot of maintenance to do. I am constantly doing something to the car. I"m not complaining. The car is 20 years old. I am wondering if the Cayenne will have the same sort of maintenance concerns as the 20 year old 911. Or does it run like any other modern day SUV?

Also, is the Cayenne considered a REAL Porsche or more of a Porsche/VW hybrid of sorts?

Finally, is there a buyer's guide somewhere that I can reference when looking for a use Cayenne? If not, what specific problems should I be looking for? Is a 100,000 mile Turbo not worth it with regards to maintenance and upkeep?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

if you owned an M5, go for Cayenne turbo. Otherwise, you'd feel frustrated every time you try to step on it... I'd say that minimum would be a V8 (cayenne S) and that will still be considerably slower than your current M5. V6 does not have enough power to do pretty much anything.

Known problems are coolant pipes and coils. Check out he forum, there's a ton of info, including estimated cost.

Cayenne is apart from engine, interior and exterior design exactly the same as VW Touareg - they are made side by side from the same parts in the same VW plant here in Slovakia, but Porsches are then shipped to Germany for final assembly (just so they can be labeled MADE IN GERMANY).
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by la crosse
Also, is the Cayenne considered a REAL Porsche or more of a Porsche/VW hybrid of sorts?
What kind of question is this? Unless it has an aircooled engine behind the rear wheels, it's not a REAL Porsche.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 899 Posts

You may want to drive a few SUVs to compare.

Even though the Cayenne and the Touareg are made in the same factory, the driving experience is vastly different. The Touareg is a little more soft and luxurious, while the Cayenne is more sporty.

Just like any Porsche purchase, check the vehicle's history and get a good PPI. They can be very reliable if properly maintained. When there are issues however, they are often expensive to fix.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You may want to drive a few SUVs to compare.

Even though the Cayenne and the Touareg are made in the same factory, the driving experience is vastly different. The Touareg is a little more soft and luxurious, while the Cayenne is more sporty.

Just like any Porsche purchase, check the vehicle's history and get a good PPI. They can be very reliable if properly maintained. When there are issues however, they are often expensive to fix.
What Dennis said...

I have driven Touareg & Cayenne back to back, They have very different feels.
Both are great SUV's.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It can be subjective based on your needs. I drove them all, VW's, Merc, X5, and Cayenne 6 and 8. BTW, the VW diesel is very impressive.

For our needs, the Cayenne 6 had enough power, but I decided on the V8 CS, as wanted more torque to tow a trailer. Ironically, the 6 and 8 get about same MPG.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by luvair
Ironically, the 6 and 8 get about same MPG.
Which is not good, by the way.

It seems like every time I check the mileage display on the Cayenne it displays an ugly number like "13.8" or even lower. I stopped checking on a regular basis, it can be depressing.

It makes it easy to justify driving my economy car (the 996) every day. It usually gets over 20 MPG.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The first generation 2004 through 2010 Cayenne's have plummeted in resale value in the last 6-12 months with the introduction of the vastly superior new 2011 redesigned Cayenne that everyone who has driven raves about. I have an 08 Cayenne I wanted to trade in on a 2011 and found out it's not worth squat, only about $28-30k trade value with 60k miles. Therefore lots of used first generation Cayenne's out there at very attractive prices right now. I wouldn't even remotely consider buying a used one with out the protection of a CPO warranty. I've had repeated failures with mine (coolant pipes and check engine/warnings) and the CPO has saved me many thousands, although it still has been very frustrating dealing with the repair issues.

Quick Reply: Considering Purchase of a Cayenne - HELP!