Sponsored by:

Low speed, high pitched whine from front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed, high pitched whine from front end

The last couple of cold mornings, when I get going at around 23 mph I hear a whine out of what sounds like the right front. It is definitely speed dependent (like a brake dust shield hitting the rotor) but then goes away at about 40mph. It will only do it for the first minute or so then stops (something warming up??). Hitting the brakes, taking it out of gear etc doesnt seem to affect it.

All fluids are good, tranny shifts and feels great, and otherwise everything else seems perfect. Any thoughts? This is my '06 CS.
bob
Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I get a power steering whine every morning when cold outside. It usually goes away by the time I drive about a block or two.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used to hear the same whine when wifey left the house on cold mornings. Like a tranny whine until things warm up. Would always go away.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

I parked in the garage last night, and it was about a 40 degree difference in startup temps (0 vs 40F). This morning it did not make the sounds at all. When I came home, after it was out all day in 20 degree weather, it made the sound slightly then went away.
I dont think its power steering, while Its making the noise, Id slide it into neutral and blip the throttle. The sound stayed consistant with road speed not engine speed. Seems like that would rule out tranny too ?! It is the rotation speed of the axle/wheel. So maybe it could be an output bearing from the tranny, or brake disc.. not sure.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
mxquattro
Instructor

I parked it outside again today to make it 'do it'. It was -17 F. Ouch. But this time I started it up and let it completely warm up before I took off. Engine oil, coolant etc. I figure this would rule out PS and other things.
It still did it. Its definitely something rotational, which means at this point Im not even going to worry about it.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 PM
JKCTT
Track Day

Same symptoms as mine. Whine near front right, gets quiet at higher speed and higher temperature quiets the noise. For me it was the drive shaft. I bought the drive shaft from vertex $399 and $350 to install.

Quick Reply: Low speed, high pitched whine from front end