Sponsored by:

sticky emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sticky emergency brake

My emergency brake has been getting worse over time so bad that now it wouldn't release if engaged. My dealer was notified well before the warranty ran out but they said no problems were identified
Has anyone else had this issue and what is the usual fix?
TIA.
Sam

Last edited by Sam CS 05; 02-03-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
My emergency break has been getting worse over time so bad that now it wouldn't release if engaged. My dealer was notified well before the warranty ran out but they said no problems were identified
Has anyone else had this issue and what is the usual fix?
TIA.
Sam
Maybe if you had asked them about the emergency brake instead of the emergency break..... Sorry for being a smart-*ss, couldn't help myself......
Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the problem that it's not releasing, or that it releases but the warning light comes on telling you it's still engaged? The latter is a common problem where the release piston doesn't push the pedal up high enough and the warning sensor thinks the pedal is still engaged. Simple fix; parts and labor at the dealer about $100.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe if you had asked them about the emergency brake instead of the emergency break..... Sorry for being a smart-*ss, couldn't help myself......
correction made, battling a 101 fever but no excuse to misspell... thx.

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Is the problem that it's not releasing, or that it releases but the warning light comes on telling you it's still engaged? The latter is a common problem where the release piston doesn't push the pedal up high enough and the warning sensor thinks the pedal is still engaged. Simple fix; parts and labor at the dealer about $100.

I think it's the warning light with its very annoying beep since the car seems to move without any resistance. I am glad it's a simple fix.
Many thanks.
Sam
Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sam: Part number 955-423-389-00, "Parking Brake Dampener." You could buy it from Sunset Porsche and install it yourself, but looking at the invoice from last year my dealer only charged me like 20 minutes worth of labor. LOL, I think that's the smallest labor charge I've ever seen for any dealer work on my cars, and I'm sure it would have taken me a little longer if I had done the job myself!

Sorry about the fever; hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 100 Posts

correction made, battling a 101 fever but no excuse to misspell... thx.

Sam
Well now I really feel like a jerk.....hope you're feeling better.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Sam: Part number 955-423-389-00, "Parking Brake Dampener." You could buy it from Sunset Porsche and install it yourself, but looking at the invoice from last year my dealer only charged me like 20 minutes worth of labor. LOL, I think that's the smallest labor charge I've ever seen for any dealer work on my cars, and I'm sure it would have taken me a little longer if I had done the job myself!

Sorry about the fever; hope you feel better soon.

Great info. Renn 951, thank you once again.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Well now I really feel like a jerk.....hope you're feeling better.
Mike, no worries, if I didn't know the difference of the two words, I would be embarrassed.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great info. Renn 951, thank you once again.

Mike, no worries, if I didn't know the difference of the two words, I would be embarrassed.
There was a thread in OT venting on this about a week ago. A lot of people get wrapped up about it (myself included).

Hope you're feeling better.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM
jprent
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem

easy solution until you actually get it fixed-

if, after releasing the parking brake the warning light and sound are still on, you can simply lift it the rest of the way with your hand. its only a couple of milimeters
Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jprent
same problem

easy solution until you actually get it fixed-

if, after releasing the parking brake the warning light and sound are still on, you can simply lift it the rest of the way with your hand. its only a couple of milimeters
Good point, and you don't really need to reach down with your hand, you can just slip your left foot under the pedal and lift up on it. I did that for a while until my annual vehicle safety inspection was coming up, and I knew if they checked the brake and the light didn't go off when released they wouldn't accept the "trick" so I needed to get it fixed at that point.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the foot trick, but in the extremely cold weather the gas shock seems to be a lot worse than in normal climates because the gas hardens just like the rear hatch shocks.

Either way i am going to get the dealer to replace mine because i have no idea how it passed their safety/PPI.

Thanks for all the input from everyone though! Love this site
Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

even the fix doesn't seem to fix it. I have had mine done once under warranty and it's gone again so it will be getting done when it goes back in for the next service.....

Quick Reply: sticky emergency brake