Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

The Official '11 Steering Wheel Viration Thread/Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Official '11 Steering Wheel Viration Thread/Poll

So, with over 5,000K miles now I've been able to pin point that I feel a vibration in the steering when when the RPM's are at EXACTLY 800 and then 1800. I feel it even when I am in "Park" and depress the accelerator and hold it steady at those RPM points for a few seconds, although the vibration is more pronounced when I am in "Drive" and I do the same thing. (Try this-- Put your car in drive and move the RPM's to 800...rolling forward slowly...then keep it at 800 for 5 seconds or so... Do you notice a distinct vibrationin the steering wheel compared to the otherwise dampened feel of the wheel?

It doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in... I feel it in all of them, except that when I am 'at speed' on the highway in 8th gear at 1800 RPMs (about 80 mph) I do not feel a vibration.

I should note that when accelerating quickly through those RPM points I feel the viration, although only briefly because the RPMs are obviously not being held at those points. I also do feel a vibration from time to time (someone described it as "crunchiness" on slow turns... For eg, I always feel it when turning into my driveway, but not necessarily on every turn... I'm thinking this is connected to the car being at the RPM points noted about for a period of time as I am making certain turns...

At least one forum member has tested their CS and has not felt this, but others have. I recall feeling a similar vibration in the steering wheel on my dealer's loaner car (when I was in for soemthing else) although I do not recall if it occurred exactly at these RPM points.

The vibration is not present at other RPM points, although

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Wow-- Lots of views of this thread and no one reposponding.... I better get my *** to the dealer....
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Motor mount perhaps?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Wow-- Lots of views of this thread and no one reposponding.... I better get my *** to the dealer....
Can you wait a few weeks and I'll have an answer for you then?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by rome
just checked mine while parked, there is a very small hint of vibration at 800 that goes away around 1000 and then comes back around 1800 and goes away again, but it is barely noticeable and its is probably due to some kind of resonnance from the engine. not readily felt at all you have to look for it to feel it.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAHTT
just checked mine while parked, there is a very small hint of vibration at 800 that goes away around 1000 and then comes back around 1800 and goes away again, but it is barely noticeable and its is probably due to some kind of resonnance from the engine. not readily felt at all you have to look for it to feel it.

Bingo, that's it. Thanks for checking. It is a little more muted while in park then while driving...
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

No vibration on mine Rome.

Quick Reply: The Official '11 Steering Wheel Viration Thread/Poll