Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
TopGun2000
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the signs of cardan shaft going out? too much road noise at speed 40m/h and above even after i put tranny in neutral for a sec

i can push up and down the shaft a bit but no visual signs of damage of the center bearing.

maybe the rubber is too soft or damaged internally?

Last edited by TopGun2000; 06-28-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Orantes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine started with a chirp from centre bearing and then very suddenly became a loud rapid thudding below the centre console. You would know if it went! You can check integrity of rubber support around bearing visually.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Orantes
Racer

Also, when mine went bad, the rubber was totally destroyed. Nothing was left around the bearing.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Tom Rathjen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Orantes
Hey Costas,

What does this tool look like? I see that they cost $231 from Sonnen. I centred mine by hand and eye....I may be asking for trouble! I would be interested to know if most centre this thing by eye.
We did ours by "eye". Also, spinning it (car in neutral, wheels off the ground) so it seemed fairly centered.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 PM
chaos37
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this occur to me today and thankfully found this this thread to put my mind to ease. I'm not too mechanically inclined, so I want to take my Cayenne to the my preferred mechanic. However, he's about 200 miles away. What's the consequences of driving with the failed rubber around the bearing that far?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Molitoth
Advanced

bump. Great thread. Going to be replacing my shaft soon.

I have a midget banging a hammer in my console. =P
Old 06-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Molitoth
Advanced

If the shaft was put back in out of balance, would the same symptoms be showing up? I did the complete job and now it's even worse. The only thing I did wrong was forget to mark the shaft for balance that was mentioned.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Orantes
Racer

That's interesting, as my replacement shaft (new) also seems to be bad. Vibration and "wummering" started intermitantly, but now kicks in nearly 100% of the time when accelerating under load (up an incline etc). I'm pretty sure it's not balanced...it's never felt perfect and it was a brand new shaft. I installed the thing myself, so this time I'm going to re-furb my old shaft with new ECS bearing and have it professionally balanced. I will report the outcome in this thread. The rubber end plate was also new on my replacement shaft....

FYI, I have now done 20,000km on my replacement shaft, however the vibration kicked in early, hence my questions in this thread regarding centering of the support bearing. This vibration and "wummering" is different to the "pygmy mallet" vibration, but just as annoying. Maybe I should have sorted it ages ago, but you know how life gets in the way.

Last edited by Orantes; 06-30-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Paulboss
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mxquattro
Its held in with a circlip. Dont get me wrong, it was a bit of a pain in the *** but not too bad. Getting the old one out was a bit of a challenge since its been on there so long but I finally got it. To get the new one on, I just cleaned up the surface, put on a light lubricant and put the shaft upright on the bench. Put the bearing on it, and got a 1" pipe (or so.. can only touch the inner race) and lightly tapped it in with the weight of the short section of pipe. Didnt even need to hammer it in.
Hey, I'm new to this forum, but I'm doing something what you've just said you did, I have 05, and my question is does it matter how much grease I put in to the place where two pieces of the cardan(shaft) connects?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulboss
... does it matter how much grease I put in to the place where two pieces of the cardan(shaft) connects?
Oh, jeebus: yes. You don't want too much, or it will make the shaft stiffer at the joint, which will strain the transmission. Also: Read and re-read the instructions for reassembly. If you don't put it back together correctly, it won't flex properly. It should be rag-doll floppy when it's assembled & greased properly.

This lesson brought to you by hard-won experience.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Orantes, Did you wind up replacing the shaft again?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Rathjen
Well, we have barely gotten the bad driveshaft off of the Cayenne, and already have something to share.

We had a very very very difficult time getting the back end of the shaft assembly to come free. The triple square bolts came off easily, no problem. And removing the front end of the driveshaft went fine. (Little tough getting the bushings to separate from the metal flanges, but we did it.) But at the back end, there appeared to be quite a bit of rust around the circumference where it is supposed to separate from the rear differential. And it was badly seized in there. No amount of tapping or anti-seize spray would cause it to budge. We were really getting frustrated, and close to giving up.

But then (laughing out loud with fear and hope) I got a desperate plan. I reconnected the front end of the driveshaft, leaving the rear end triple square bolts removed. Then I lowered the rear wheels to the ground, blocked them really good with 4X4's, and raised the front end on jack stands. With the parking brake on, brake depressed hard, and center differential locked, I gave it some power. Didn't take too much, and BANG...the rear end of the driveshaft finally broke free. Success!

Not that I would recommend this. But wanted to share that it was really really a problem to get that back end off.

Now on to the bearing removal! (For some reason, I think I am going to need my dremel tool.)
Tom - I ran into the same problem and I decided to do the same desperate procedure as you did - the only difference - I put the truck on four jack stands with all wheels off the ground. Then also with the parking brake all the way down, I started the engine and as soon I put it in drive I heard it break loose, no throttle needed.
I think it is important to note to make sure the exhaust is still on, put a piece of wood in between the exhaust and the shaft so the shaft can land on it.
I am sure the Cayenne has a similar layout of the exhaust like the Touareg.

cheers
Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 AM
dbidelspach
4th Gear

I have a 2009 Porsche Cayenne S that I replaced the Center Drive Shaft Bearing. The Kit contained a Rubber Boot to go over the Center CV Joint. Whereas, the original CV Joint had a Metal Cover with a smaller diameter Rubber Boot. This all Rubber Boot appeared to be a little odd. Nonetheless, did the replacement. I could not determine where the very small metal square rod went in the repair. Did my Test Drive and it appears the Center CV Joint came apart. This was not totally surprising. It appeared the Metal Cover on the CV Joint kept the CV Joint (Ball Bearings) together and in place. Does this CV Joint require the Metal Cover with the small Rubber Boot? Also, if the actual CV Joint was damaged, are the CV Joint Parts available? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Holy crap!

There's a very complete DIY in this thread. Read through it in detail and you should be able to reassemble your shaft. There's also a youtube video that shows how to take it apart, you would have to reverse the process.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM
David944s2
AutoX

Last year I replaced the failed center bearing support with you Drive Shaft Clamping Center Support product on my ’08 Cayenne S without any issue at all. I drove the car for over a year and decided to do some preventative maintenance and replaced the Flex Disk yesterday.

The replacement was straight forward, loosened the center bearing support mounts to get some wiggle room and removed/replaced re-checked washer orientation on flex disk, followed directions on torque settings. Tightened up the center support, looked around, all looked, felt good.

On my test drive I picked-up a meaningful vibration in the drive shaft at about 30mph, worst at 35mph and starts to disappear around 40mph. I went under the car today, everything is tight and looks good. The internet hasn’t helped, just some references to a bearing alignment tool for the center support bearing, but nothing much else.

I thought maybe there is an orientation issue between the Cardan Shaft and the transmission, but I don’t see anything there at all.

Ideas?

Quick Reply: Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff...