Issues with the collapsible spare

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Issues with the collapsible spare

Have anyone had issues pumping up the collapsible spare with the Porsche air pump?

Twice now I had to use the spare due to nail in tire, but both times I had problem inflating the spare. Basically it just wouldn't inflate.

If I take the spare to a gas station and use their compress air it will fill up. When I use the Porsche air pump I can hear hissing sound coming out of the rim area of the collapsible spare.

Is there a trick to inflate these thing?

TIA
Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the first few times you use it, its good to use a powerful industrial air compressor............

The wheel seems to not unfoil as easy until this done.

i went through 12 flats in 3 years with my mine and just leave it on there for a long time, it should fill up.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:31 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not used the one in a Cayenne. But the problem normally is due to the tire not sealing around the rim and the pump not being able to supply enough air to overcome the loss. Are you trying to fill it before you put it on?

Its like a boat with a hole in it and the bilge pump not keeping up.

Sometimes you can shift the tire and get it to seal -- but its difficult with the little pumps especially if they are not working at top performance.

I have one of those tire kits -- with the plugs and the tools that I keep in the cars -- they are cheap and they have saved me on numerous occasions
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

No trouble with the system when I used it for the first time a couple weeks ago, but maybe I was lucky. Certainly a complex way of changing a tire. Posted about my experience in the Florida section, Brumos saved me.

Quick Reply: Issues with the collapsible spare